Typical cost of a clutch install?

• Sponsors (?)

I looked into the cost of a clutch install on my 00GT (T-45) and got three prices averaging $280 ($260-$300) using a new flywheel. I think the labor is about a 4 hour charge.

I am doing it myself next Friday with the help of a friend.

BCB00GT said:
I looked into the cost of a clutch install on my 00GT (T-45) and got three prices averaging $280 ($260-$300) using a new flywheel. I think the labor is about a 4 hour charge.

I am doing it myself next Friday with the help of a friend.
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to keep it under $300. The design of the TR3650 with the integrated bellhousing sucks! To have to drop the tranny and driveshaft just to do a clutch install is ridiculous! :notnice: The local Ford dealers want in the neighborhood of $800 to do it! I'm like holy crap, I already spent over $500 on the good parts and now you want to rape me on the install, no thanks! :bang:

TR03Mach1 said:
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to keep it under $300. The design of the TR3650 with the integrated bellhousing sucks! To have to drop the tranny and driveshaft just to do a clutch install is ridiculous!

T45 is like that too. :shrug:

A clutch isn't a very complex job - especially if you don't have long tube headers. Why not do it yourself? Just don't forget to have the flywheel re-surfaced. Would also be a good time to upgrade the stock clutch cable and quadrant.

stangtrooper97 said:
Jim, if you find a place let me know. My throw-out bearing is making alot of noise and I figured I should change the clutch while I'm in there. They are going to drop the tranny anyway.

Exactly what I did. Just the TOB was making noise, so it all got swapped. 60,000 miles and the stock clutch was still very firm.

stangtrooper97 said:
Jim, if you find a place let me know. My throw-out bearing is making alot of noise and I figured I should change the clutch while I'm in there. They are going to drop the tranny anyway.
Will do Pete! Hope to get it in sometime during the 4th of July week. While I appreciate the do-it-yourself responses, ain't gonna happen. I lack the necessary tool inventory and the inclination to drop the transmission (how can anybody say that's not a major undertaking?) of my daily driver onto the floor of my garage! I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what it costs to have an independent shop install the clutch. To the guy who got Ford to do it for $150, you're my hero! I'd love to know how you got them to do it for that price!

TR03Mach1 said:
The design of the TR3650 with the integrated bellhousing sucks! To have to drop the tranny and driveshaft just to do a clutch install is ridiculous! :notnice: :bang:

That's an odd post.

On every car I've ever worked on you have to unhook the DS and pull the tranny to do the clutch. You can't pull the tranny back with the DS still attached and you can't get to the clutch without pulling the tranny back.

AdRock said:
That's an odd post.

On every car I've ever worked on you have to unhook the DS and pull the tranny to do the clutch. You can't pull the tranny back with the DS still attached and you can't get to the clutch without pulling the tranny back.
Could be that's because the last clutch I installed was in a 1973 Plymouth 340 Duster, and all I had to do was get the car on a lift, unbolt the bottom half of the bellhousing, and remove the clutch fork, pressure plate, and clutch disc off the input shaft without ever touching a bolt on the transmission! Took 3 people with hand tools about an hour start to finish.

TR03Mach1 said:
Could be that's because the last clutch I installed was in a 1973 Plymouth 340 Duster, and all I had to do was get the car on a lift, unbolt the bottom half of the bellhousing, and remove the clutch fork, pressure plate, and clutch disc off the input shaft without ever touching a bolt on the transmission! Took 3 people with hand tools about an hour start to finish.

Ahhhh. I see.