U-Joint

Just finishing up replacing my third member and thinking about replacing the rear u-joint while I'm back there. Can I do this with the driveshaft still on the car? Anyone mind giving me a quick walk-thru for replacing u-joints if you don't mind, first time here. I have a shop manual but it looks like the steps are for when you have the driveshaft off and isn't really all that clear to me the steps in getting the old u-joint out and putting the new one in.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Just finishing up replacing my third member and thinking about replacing the rear u-joint while I'm back there. Can I do this with the driveshaft still on the car? Anyone mind giving me a quick walk-thru for replacing u-joints if you don't mind, first time here. I have a shop manual but it looks like the steps are for when you have the driveshaft off and isn't really all that clear to me the steps in getting the old u-joint out and putting the new one in.

Thanks!

When you do replace them, you may want to consider using non-serviceable solid u-joints. They are considered stronger than the ones that have hollow passages to hold grease. Seems like a good design for a modified car. I'll be doing that over here in the near future.

Yea, that's the ones. U joints are best replaced using a hammer, socket and a good bench vise. Press the new joints in with the socket and vise. That way you're less likely to disturb the needle bearings in the cups.