Ugh, Terminator

I just found an '04 Cobra for $28k and 12k miles, completely stock and babied...

....please someone talk me out of this or I'll never buy a house in CA, wont have $$ to get my wedding planned in the coming yeard or 2, and will have payments for 6 YEARS! But it's something I may not find later ever :D

• Sponsors (?)

i thought that this was going to be a thread about the new terminator 4 trailer :(
Im guessing that your payment would be well over 500 a month plus ins. (and dont forget that $75 fill up!) for that car. Sounds like youve got other things going on, too.
on the other hand, if its something that your wanting...
wait were you really wanting someone to talk you out of it?

That's a lot, but hey if you can afford it. But then again I've always had a hard time with buying a car that costed more than 10% of my annual net income. Yeah . . . I'm that cheap.

Oh, and Terminator 4 is going to be good. I've never disliked a Christian Bale movie.

Yes I am looking to be talked out of it. I can afford it, but I'd be set back for a few years! I would keep my '94 as well which would really kill me...I just want one bad and know finding a low mile Terminator later in life will be darn near impossible!

Are they really making a #4?? The third movie stunk IMO, didn't everything blow up already? They can remake the movie forever with time travel involved :rolleyes:

Don't do it. Your finances are more important than a car. I did not and would not go into debt over one. Plus $28k is too much. You can get one for much less. And there will always be one. A friend of mine just got one for 23k. There, feel better! :)

By the house first, then fill that with toys. That's my plan anyway. Well it is now after my girlfriend politely reminded me that it would not be a good idea to hop all over a '55 Bel Air shoe box with a 454 in it if I ever wanted any again.

Adam

Yeeeeees I do, $500 a month for a car that will get driven a few miles a week is tough.

I just have room for it because I have a company car and don't pay for gas in the Nissan. Yes rings and maybe a home in CA would be better then strapping a Kenne Bell on a sick low milage 04 Cobra! ....(or would it? haha) :nono:

Don't get into a 6 year car loan if you're looking to buy a house in the next year or two. Unless you know for sure you can afford both. If you need to get rid of the car when the time comes to buy that house, who knows how long it will take to sell it.

I imagine in a few years when the GT500's become affordable you'll see a lot of 03-04 Cobras up for sale. Probably not with 12k miles though. Personally I'd rather get one with 30-50k on it for a lot less $$$.

Is $28k really way too much for that milage? I am in the Bay Area where everything costs twice what it should. But I dont think I'm going to pull the trigger on it...
28k is way too much for that car. regardless of what the miles are, the car is still 4 years old. after the dust finally settled, people were getting out the door with new 03-04 cobras for 32k. 12k miles and 4 years is definitely more than 4000 in depreciation no matter what the mileage.

Seems to me that IF you are dead set on buying it, which I disagree with doing, you could find a deal in another state for like 8k less and it would be worth a plane ticket to go get it. I'm kind of in the same boat as far as purchases go. I DID buy a house before finishing the new motor, but now I have a ring to buy which is going to come before the motor (not using a credit card). She's in no rush, but I don't think she would appreciate me putting the car over proposing :rolleyes:

Id hold off. I just bought a house over the winter and am getting married this saturday actually, and that is putting me back more than I expected. Plus the new wifey isnt thrilled about me buying an H/C/I, let alone $28k on a Cobra. I have known some guys that have really cool gf's though, so maybe yours is one of them!

I paid $28k for my old '04 Cobra brand new from the dealer. That is way too much for a 4-5 year old car even with the 'low' mileage. They are fun cars though. Almost too much fun. I would say go drive one if you never have and then go home for a week or so and think about whether or not it will be worth it.

1) That's too much money for that car

2) Buy your house. Cars are NEVER a good investment, and renting (what I assume you're doing for a place to live now) is a bad financial move. Owning a home is the best single thing you can do to build long-term wealth.

Not sure how old you are, but I'm assuming you've got a lot more years ahead of you than behind you. Putting the better chunk of a year's salary into a car that is going to depreciate (and it will!) is a bad idea, no matter how much you want one. You've got a nice 94 now, enjoy it, and get yourself settled in a house. You'll have time to buy toys later, and funds to do it with. Besides, in 10 years, there's going to be cars available that you can't even dream about now. I remember right about the time I bought my first house, I was dying to buy a Dodge Stealth!:eek: It really was a cool car then...honest!

It's hard for all of us to do, and I can completely understand where you're at, but the sooner you take a longer-term view to your finances, the sooner you'll get to a point where you're financially secure and can truly afford and enjoy your toys.

My 2 cents, from someone who's been there.

Yeah, I agree with everyone who said that is way too much money. If I remember correctly yellow94cobra I think his name is bought his old mint '03 cobra with 2,000 miles for like 25K with a few bolt ons and that was a few years back when it was quite new.