Uh oh, Time for a new Rack&Pinion and PS Pump??

MSM0075

May 13, 2003
Central Jersey
I was crusin' around with "50mustang001" a couple weeks ago and on our way back home we noticed a real loud whiney noise like the powerstearing noise got louder than it already was. Got it back to his house and noticed the power stearing pump was empty, uh oh! So I quickley filled it up and drove it home. Its leaking from the inner part of the boot on the rack..Leaks up to a pint a day..Its slowed down latley though. The pump was loud to begin with. If I have to add a new R&P It would make scence to replace the Pump too beacuse I dont want that warn thing griding up my Rack, correct? Should I just buy pepboys crap? What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

Not too long after I got my '93, actually that day, the Rack went out, just replaced it with a Re-Bult one, un less its leaking, or not working there shouldnt be any reason to replace the pump, i didnt, and never had to put fluid in it again. Though, when you replace the rack, get an alignment, its tough to lign that stuff back up exactly, mine was slightly off.

I would defiantely change the pump also for cheap insurance I think they are only like $30 or so. And it would be a good idea to flush all the lines after the install by leaving the return line off the pump and pumping fluid into a pan until it looks clean.

Ugh, im so depressed...

I got so many things to do on this car like Springs, Shocks, Struts, Rack&Pinion, Power Steering Pump. Along with your preformance upgrades like Poly-bushings, Caster Plates (SP?) and bigger sway bars..but some of these upgrades require an alignment afterwords. I want to purchase and install everything at once, but I don't have enough funds to do so. I WOULD just save up money but the car is in a pretty dangerous state to drive. *sigh*

i recently had to do the rack, p/s pump, and the p/s pressure and return lines on my 83 3.8 vert. if you ran the pump dry for long enough its never going to get any any more quiet, and it will ware out eventually, a lot sooner than if it had been kept full. I would recomend doing it all at once, its just the logical way, because if you do the rack now, and in a couple monts your pump goes your just going to be pissed off, especially if it eats itself up like mine did and grinds apart the insides, and its not like the pump is going to cost you an arm and a leg, i got mine for somewhere in the neiborhood of 30 or 35 bucks. just an easy safty net,thinking ahead cant hurt.

When you put the new rack/and or pump on, keep the car up on jack stands. Plug the return port on the pump and let the return line hang off over a pan. Put fluid in the pump but don't start it. Slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times and check the fluid level again. A couple of times should flush out all the old fluid. Reconnect the return line and refill the pump. Do the lock to lock again slowly with the engine OFF watching the fluid level and it will push out all the air in the lines. Start the engine and turn it slowly lock to lock again, (Don't jam it hard at the ends, it's hard on the pump) and you should be ready to drive.

wuzfast said:
When you put the new rack/and or pump on, keep the car up on jack stands. Plug the return port on the pump and let the return line hang off over a pan. Put fluid in the pump but don't start it. Slowly turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times and check the fluid level again. A couple of times should flush out all the old fluid. Reconnect the return line and refill the pump. Do the lock to lock again slowly with the engine OFF watching the fluid level and it will push out all the air in the lines. Start the engine and turn it slowly lock to lock again, (Don't jam it hard at the ends, it's hard on the pump) and you should be ready to drive.

Wow thanks for the detailed info!
So you say I should just buy a new pump? The leak seems to have slowed down alot. Considering when it was low i'd fill it up with Lucas everytime, guess it finally kicked in after about 3 of 4 bottles of Lucas..Pump is still loud, and if the car is cold and i try and turn the wheel its real stiff. Could I go wrong if I bought a pump now with my old leaking rack???