UH-OH!!!

Please tell me I'm insane and I don't know what I'm doing...I tried to prime the motor today with the drill method on the oil pump driveshaft and no oil could be seen through the oil filler neck. Does this mean that the oil is not circulating or does it mean that I just couldn't see because the oil shouldn't be going through there? Where are the oil ports for the rockers?

• Sponsors (?)

I cant remember if it was forward or reverse on the drill, when I did mine. BUT when the oil pump was primed, the drill loaded up big time. If the drill didnt change pitch or get hard to hold, then its not primed yet.

Please tell me I'm insane and I don't know what I'm doing...I tried to prime the motor today with the drill method on the oil pump driveshaft and no oil could be seen through the oil filler neck. Does this mean that the oil is not circulating or does it mean that I just couldn't see because the oil shouldn't be going through there? Where are the oil ports for the rockers?

Ok then ………you're insane..............and you don't know what you're doing,:D

but i gotta go along with the drill in reverse theory!

+1 on the drill in reverse. If it's a cordless drill, make sure the battery is charged up first. Mine was about half dead in just the minute or so that I primed the engine.

This time I tried the drill in reverse and took off the passenger valve cover. Still no oil oozing out of the rockers....where is it supposed to come out of and how fast should the drill be moving? Also, how long did it take for you guys to feel it load up?

I'm about to do this with the 331.... I primed my 3.4 L stroker on my S-10 Blazer a couple years ago. The drill was just humming along for about 30 seconds, then it REALLY bogged down. I just ran it a few minutes once it bogged. We could smell the drill smoking from the load. LOL It was 25 degrees outside. Without the engine running to produce heat, the oil was pretty hard to push through.