Um i broke a bolt

raulbadillo

Aug 26, 2008
As the title states i broke a bolt. And im worried. I was tightening the number one bolt on the lower intake manifole of my mustang and for some reason didnt feel the click of the torque wrench and over tightened. Next thing u know......POOF!! the bolt snaps and im pissed.....Really pissed. I continued with the rest of the bolts in the correct tightening order and torque specs but im worried that that one spot will leak. I have another set of heads that are on the way. Should be here any day. But i dont plan to put them on til after the 1st of the year. Due to cash flow. Shop rates are high here lol. I believe the lower intake manifold bolts to the head. Am i correct? And will i efen up my car if i run the motor with that bolt broken off? I got the broken piece out and the other half is still in there. Isnt going anywhere.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll likely have a vacuum or coolant leak with a broken bolt. The lower intake really needs to come back off to extract the broken bolt, and then you'll need a new set of intake gaskets, too. Probably not what you wanted to hear...

I kind of "sort of" had this problem when I installed my lower intake. I had short studs in to hold the gaskets in place until I tightened the lower down. Well one of my studs was too short and I couldn't get it out after I dropped the intake on the engine. I took a pick up magnet and spun the stud out that way. It took a few minutes but it was better than redoing all of the gaskets.