Underbody

95Mustang302

Mar 30, 2005
So while the car is up on stands for the tko swap I've been cleaning out the underbody with some heavy duty degreaser and some scotch brite pads. I've got almost half the tunnel done and I need to do the other half and keep working to the rear...

My question is this. I know por15 is the industry standard for rust protection. but I was wondering if I degreased, and used some phosphoric acid to neutralize all the rust under the car and then used some rustoleum Oil Primer for lightly rusted metal and then used the rustoleum rust tough oil based paint on the underside how well you all think that will hold up for me.

Its cheap and I can get it at work, so I'm hoping this will work..

• Sponsors (?)

oh wow lol i didn't remembering it being that expensive at the auto parts store lol

good point im sure theres cheaper routes not to sure on the method you want to use ...im sure it will be a area with heat so consider that

It might work. I really don't know much about phosphoric acid as it relates to rust, but I'll just assume it stops the oxidation process. Are you going to grind down the rusted areas? I would definitely take them down to cleaner metal. Your paint idea should hold up just fine. Will this car see alot of salt and snow? Mine sees absolutely no snow or salt, so I have it pretty good (sits in a garage all winter)...if you will be driving in bad weather (winter) you might want to consider shelling out the cash for the POR-15.

my .02

it no longer see's salt or snow, that ended the day I bought it

and yes, I'm getting a wire brush attachment for my angle grinder to make the job go faster, did you take off all the undercoating?

it no longer see's salt or snow, that ended the day I bought it

and yes, I'm getting a wire brush attachment for my angle grinder to make the job go faster, did you take off all the undercoating?

Check out the link I posted to my thread, it goes through the whole process in good detail.

I only ground down to bare metal where the rust required me to. And I don't know about you, but my car had/has no undercoating. Just paint.