Underheating???

kiohio

Dec 19, 2006
Ohio
Car had a 160* t-stat and it barely got to 160* when driving even for over 50 miles.
So, I put in a new 180* thermostat, made sure the bleed hole was at the top.
Refilled, started it and let it run with the cap off for a little while, thermostat never seemed to open.
I topped it off and drove it around a bit. Same exact thing happened.
I drove it approx 50 miles after it had idled for 15 mins.
It never did get above around 150 on the factory gauge.
I felt the hoses and they all seemed to be at that temp none of them very warm at all.
The car does have a 3 core rad on it, but that shouldn't effect it much until the t-stat opens up.
The temp outside was around 55 degrees.
Anyone have any ideas.
Car is the one in sig.

Thanks, KO

• Sponsors (?)

I agree. The stock gauge is kinda lame (E.g., as one example, mine reads 35*F too cool at 200*F).

Remember, on the highway or while at speed in the cold, the coolant in the radiator gets quite chilled (relatively speaking). As soon as that stat opens, it really cools things down quickly.

Good luck.

Everything just feels warm.
After the drive I could lay my hand on any part of the cooling system.
Top hose, lower hose, heater hose, you name it. Heat in car slightly warmer than with the 160.
I didn't figure the factory gauge was real accurate.
I believe the timing is set back a good bit because of the SC.
Would this effect it?
Just working my way thru all of this cars little "issues".
Thanks, KO

Untill you get a true reading from the aftermarket gauge I wouldn't assume there is a temp issue at all...you will just end up wasting time and effort on a guess. My stock gauge was off by some 20-30 degrees even with a new sender in place.

I'll agree with the stock gauge not being very good. Mine would move up when I turned the lights on.

Someone explain how the fan clutch would cause the car to run cooler.

I'm having an issue since replacing my 180 with a new 180. It seems to warm up to around 170 or so in 40 degree weather. (Autometer Gauge)

Kiohio,

Sorry to change the topic, but...

Welcome to StangNet, I was following your post on superchargerhelp about your FrankenPaxton. Good to see you over here, there's a lot of knowledgable people that are happy to help out.

Carry on now...

Jeff

Thank you for the welcome, you will be seeing more posts I'm sure. :D
This poor car needs alot of attention.
It has a bunch of performance stuff on it but has never been fine tuned and the little things fixed.
Thanks Again, KO