Uneven Ride Height Questions

Aaron

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 5, 2003
Buffalo, NY
The other day, my wife mentioned that my Stang loked like it was sagging in the rear on the drivers side. Well it was sagging alright, but a lot of it was contributed to low tire pressure.
After I filled up all 4 tires, I took a look at it again, and it still seems like it's sagging a bit in the rear on the drivers side. I replaced the rear springs and rear shocks a few years back so I would assume my shocks can't be bad yet (I am very easy on the car and have probably put 2K miles on it in 2 years). I also did a visual inspection of suspension mounting points, but didn't notice any damage. I have not replaced the front struts yet.
Does anyone know what stock ride height should be on an 87 GT? Here are the measurements of each wheel well. I am measuring from the floor to the highest paty of the lip of each wheel well:

LF - 26 3/4"
RF - 27"

LR - 27 1/4"
RR - 27 3/4"

I am assuming that 1/2" is a big difference considering I can visually tell the car is not sitting evenly. I even confirmed the air pressure in each tire was identical when doing measurements.

Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

are all the spring insulator's in place? thats the rubber rings that go on top and bottom of each spring. And check for frame damage, particularly where the front subframe is attached to the body, look for some wavy sheet metal(kinda behind the motor at the front of the trans tunnel), mine is like this after a front end collision, unfortunately the PO's fault and someday i might have to replace the shell because of it

Make sure the ground you are measuring on is perfectly level! I have made the same measurements on my car, and they come out different depending on if I park on my side of the garage or in the middle of the garage (2 car garage, floor setup with a drain in the middle). You wouldn't even notice the grade to the floor if it wasn't for the drain, but it makes a difference in the mesurements.

From what i've seen and noticed is that most fox mustangs have a slight sag on the drivers side. Mine did with the factory springs and even with the eibach pro kit springs. Its never been in a accident and i'm the second owner. Trust me i know. I think it may have to do with uneven weight? battery on the drivers side, booster, steering coloum, master cylinder all that stuff. I think it just has more weigh on the drivers side, and most of it is all up front, hence the front sags more then the rear. I doubt there is anything wrong with your car... its just uneven weight. Just think of all the extra weight that the passenger side doens't have? And considering your 200lb fat ass rides in the drivers side and normally nobody in the passenger side, more uneven weight causing more wear on the drivers side.
Thats just my .02:nice:

Are all these cars hatches or are there some notchbacks with this problem as well? My hatch falls into the "low driver side" category but my notch still sits straight with completely stock suspension. I've beat on the hatch but the notch is an old man car.

My beautiful, built up 93 convertible suffered from the sag as well. I had tried a couple different brand springs in it at one time or another, but the sag was always there.
I did cure mine. It wasn't terribly hard, but was time consuming.
I removed the taller spring side and started cutting coil lengths off the end. I cut about 1/4 of a coil at a time, reinstalled, drove it around to settle the springs, parked in a known level parking lot and measured. Drove home, removed the spring, but another 1/4, etc. Took me a few times to get the right amount, but I finally did and the car sat level until I sold it 3 yrs later.
It was a pain to keep removing the spring, but it was the only way. Believe me, removing just a little bit of coil goes a long way. It is tempting to cut too much, then you are stuck cutting the other, back and forth.....
Good luck,
Ken

Many fox mustangs have a sag, and it is always on the drivers side. I replaced pretty much everything there is to replace in terms of suspension and my car still sits at least a quarter of an inch lower on the drivers side. I resolved the issue as much as i could by putting adjustable control arms on the rear of the car. I just have the drivers side set higher than the passengers side and it is pretty much as even as i am going to get the car. the only other option is to buy coil overs, which I would do if i had to do it all over again. The picture below was taken before i installed the adjustable control arms. there wasn't a huge lean, but it was noticable.

Lose some weight! You breaking down the driverside like an old mattress.

I think its from being a unibody. it flexes and contorts so much that it gets weak.