"Universal" door lock actuators?

JChalfan

Nov 27, 2002
Bellevue, WA
Where do you guys get your universal door lock actuators? Neither of my doors lock any more, and I'd kinda like to do the cheap fix.

I went to my local NAPA (the only decent auto parts store in my area), and they didn't have a "universal" door lock actuator.

I really don't want to go to Schucks. I know the guy is just going to look at me with a blank stare, and then ask if my car has A/C.

Any suggestions where to get them? Or what to ask for? I just tried asking for a universal door lock actuator.

Thanks.

Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

jrichker's write-up mentions buying them for about $4 each. In fact, after just looking at said write-up, I noticed he gave a link to buy them so I guess I got that part figured out.

Most people seem to have pretty good luck with the aftermarket ones lasting a while. Of course, when you put it in perspective, I guess my stock Ford ones did last 15 years...

Hmm... Maybe I'll just disconnect my actuators so I can at least lock my door with a key?

I'll have to read jrichker's article again later and see if I want to do that.

Jeff

I have owned Mustangs since 1986. I have had several stock actuators go out in that time.

The aftermarket ones last much longer than the stock OEM ones and are very easy to install.

FYI
I have never had to replace an aftermarket type actuator. :nice:

04sleeper said:
I have owned Mustangs since 1986. I have had several stock actuators go out in that time.

The aftermarket ones last much longer than the stock OEM ones and are very easy to install.

FYI
I have never had to replace an aftermarket type actuator. :nice:

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll order up some actuators one of these days. It would be nice to lock my doors again.

Jeff

I got the ones from parts express and they've been working for a couple of years http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&DID=7&Product_ID=9675&DS_ID=3

Here is how I installed them directly to the doors:
doorlock1.JPG

doorlock2.JPG

doorlock3.JPG

I used the two silver screws to mount them (only drilled one new hole, the right one) and used spade connectors to attach to the stock Ford plug, and wrapped it with electrical tape.

I use the PE ones that Jrichker used. You could also try a pair from ebay but I cant vouch for the quality. PE has decent prices on other electrical stuff if you want to diffuse the shipping charges. Like if you need cable for a 3G, SPDT relays, or anything like that............

Good luck.

EDIT: Thomas posted while I found bones for the dogs. :)