Universal Wheels / Rims - Love 'em or Leave 'em?

gregski

Mar 13, 2010
Sacramento, California
So while looking for some 5 lug wheels / rims (what ever you wanna call 'em) for my 68 coupe on Craigslist I came across some that were "universal". Judging from the ads they claim to fit Fords, Chevy's, Mopar, etc... the holes seem oblong so I wonder if that would cause wobble or not a perfect fit when mounted. Should I get them, or should i stay away from them?

• Sponsors (?)

If your talking about the Greg Weld style or I believe the new brand name for them is Racelite with the offset washers, I had those on my car for a while and hated them.

For a street car they would probably be fine, but for a car putting alot of forces at the drag strip they suck. The washers in the rear would bind and carve into the wheel and I actually had two lugnuts get messed up and bind on the studs. Took an hour to remove a wheel because of that fun.

Ended up with my BilletSpecialties wheels instead and 1000000X happier. lol

Sounds like its a set of Cragars that have the Uni-Lug setup - like what came on my 67 coupe when I bought it...

There is nothing wrong with them, just be sure to use the washer on each lug nut and hand tighten them before adding torque so the rim will be lined up correctly.

guy's you're awesome thank you for the prompt responses, that's what I was looking for some real feedback from those who tried them, I will pass on these, I am not a big wheels guy as in flashy, but I know nice wheels enhance the car, so I need to wait till something better comes along, but I don't want to drop $1K on rims if you know what I mean

I have them/have used them in the past, and I don't love them either. The right bolt pattern for the car is a much better bet. I had a pair on the back of my 69 Cougar when I was a kid and went out hotrodding one day. I lost two wheel studs and a lug nut that day. At least two people should have ended up upside down in a ditch....(Me and my passenger!) Or worse....

Gregski,
A pic would be nice. The universal style that has washers that actually fit into machined recesses in the wheel, like the old Ansen Wheels, seems pretty good to me. I must say though that the style/system for my new Cragar SS:
Cragar 61715 - Cragar 08/61 S/S Super Sport Chrome Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com
(not sure if the older ones are the same) does not give me confidence. They have 5 slots to accommodate what appears to be 4.5" to 5.0" lug circles and offset washers but the washers do not have a recess to fit into on the wheels. They are only located/centered to the hub by the shank of the nuts and the washers only kind of rest against 2 little bumps on the wheel center for each. It just seems to me that the steel nut shanks will eventually wear/hog out the slots after not many times of removal/replacement. I'm kinda disappointed. Its sort of odd that the Keystone style (also made/sold by Cragar):
Cragar 325799 - Cragar Chrome Keystone Klassic Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com
appear to actually have the washer recesses. All that being said, I feel that the recessed washer style is superior, but if it's the non recessed style, in good shape (holes/slots not hogged/worn), a good price and the size/look/style you want/like (I suggest 15X7), I'd say go for it. Again, pics would be nice.
Just My .02,
Gene

That second picture with the recessed area for the washers is the same type of thinking the Greg Welds were and they suck. lol

Its one thing if you love the wheels, but if not I'd get the right wheels for the bolt pattern and stay away from the universal type deals.