untwisting seat belts arggggghh!

briant230

Jul 16, 2004
I bought my stang about 2 months ago and just realized the jerk b4 me completly twisted the two front seat belts... i believe there twisted on the inside of the side of the car...there twisted so bad they dont even retract at all! anyone know of a way to untwist these things???

• Sponsors (?)

Well, you could also unbolt it from the floor with a t-50 and pull it out and then let it unwind from there then rebolt it down again, I have to do that from time to time in my wifes car also!

She doesnt care about that stuff, but it drives me crazy.

Yeah, it seems that alot of people have problems with their seatbelts twisting and then not retracting. I tried numerous times to fix the problem whenever it happened. Finally, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for me no questions asked. Good luck!

hmmms my 95 has no seatbelt problems... actually right now i have the rear seatbelts buckled... for NO REASON, lol i was cleaning (vacuuming and cleaning the inside of my windows), then never undid them... which reminds me i shuld re-armor all sometimes soon, lol, its not a showcar but it whuld always look its best!

On the floor, pop the cover to the thing that your seatbelt goes into. Use a T50 torx bit to remove it from the floor. Untwist seatbelt and re-attach to floor. Push the cover back on. You don't need pics to do what LsRedy2Kstang described.

1quick6 said:
Yeah, it seems that alot of people have problems with their seatbelts twisting and then not retracting. I tried numerous times to fix the problem whenever it happened. Finally, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it for me no questions asked. Good luck!

Here's my experience...00 V6 Coupe= 3 months after buying it NEW it was at the dealer getting the driver's side seatbelt fixed b/c it wouldn't retract.
01 GT coupe= 6 months after buying it NEW it was at the dealer for the same thing....and now, 03 V6 Coupe= 1 year after purchase (it was NEW) it needs to go back for this same issue. :bang: It's like the rusting that goes on around the trunk....Ford is never going to fix the problem. :nonono:

Yeah um... if you actually pay attention to it everytime you take the seatbelt off, it shouldn't twist up, but I don't pay attention everytime. :shrug:

I know there's probably a design flaw that makes it roll up twisted, unless it's let back alligned correctly.

heres a thought when oyu get in the car make sure your putting the seat belt on right instead of just pulling it down and clicking it regardless of how it's twisted or whatever

MarvinMyCat said:
Not to start a pissing war, but did you ever stop to think that it may be the driver and not the car itself? There's probably some explanation as to why this has happened on three seperate cars for you.

Each time I took my car to the dealership to have it fixed, they said that one of the springs in the base of the seatbelt holder was the problem. I'm pretty careful about things like that, so I'm pretty confident that the problem was not caused by error on my part but I could be wrong I suppose. :shrug: I've owned a 97 Pontiac Sunfire and a 02 Pontiac Sunfire and I never had any problems out of them.

Its not the driver its the car. Mine's an 03 and I've had this problem for about a year now, i just don't really care about it, but I never had the problem with my last car (01 neon) and I didn't changed the way I buckle/unbuckle my seatbelt when i changed cars

ah, on other cars, such as our comfy Buick rendezvous, you can lower the seatbelts angle slighly, just enough to be off your neck. come to think of it i could see that being a problem in an accident... on ure neck? but otherwise i have no problems with my seatbelt, i guess its just the way i sit in ze car... not even that tall (5'8) but that dont matter much, just raise the seat!? lol