Unwanted stripes on Convertible top.

radtexas

Jul 25, 2006
Tyler, Texas
I noticed these after I got it home. There are three stripes on the top. The third one is on the ridge support behind the other two so it is not seen in this picture. I thought it was residue from maybe some shipping tape or somthing but I have washed it twice and they are not coming off at all. Sent the photo to my dealer to see what they say. Anyone have any good answers or advise? I would hate to have to get the top replaced after factory because it might end up being a big problem latter on.

x1pyOKpfgDESZ4LMTNzkhAPc99yOexlWv4gpSj3v_alY7g-umjJiqonUJRp_uVE4e4BEK9dZjc7B70m0AFYNDtO9xrBqMGMB2a0ACnrrxZlhiFyOMK19pPqsvflT2HwfmOrGSMdg_8C2Eo

• Sponsors (?)

Intersting that Ford didn't allow you to upgrade the top on one of their special edition Mustangs. It does look like tape residue in the pictures. I think I'd be inclined to do nothing with it for a few weeks and see if it comes off on its own from exposure to the sun and repeated washings. I would not let a dealer fool around with the top under any circumstances unless there is another problem associated with it (like if it's leaking somewhere).
The only real flaw that I've discovered on my new car is that occasionally when I close the driver's door window right after I raise the top, the window must come into contact with some part of the weatherstripping on the top, as when it nears the end of its track it reverses direction and immediately goes to full open. I know this is a safety feature built into the auto-close of the window to keep little fingers (and necks) from being crushed. It's far easier for me to just open the door a little if this occurrs, then to even think about what the so-called "techs" at the local dealership might try to do to fix it. My guess is they would either end up monkeying with the adjustment of the window or the top to try to resolve this issue. This is the only one of the 3 Mustang Convertibles that I've owned that seals perfectly as it doesn't leak a drop anywhere. It's even passed the self-serv car wash test with flying colors.
Back to your problem: There must be something that you can try to use to remove that stuff without sacrificing the finish of the top. I know there are commercial products out there made specifically to remove glue residue (Goo Gone?) but I think they are designed for use on hard, non-porous surfaces. I've always had good luck using WD-40 to remove glue residue but again only on hard non-porous surfaces (I wouldn't go near the top with it). Have you tried a soft scrubbing brush and some car wash soap?
Not sure this helped.

Marine One said:
The only real flaw that I've discovered on my new car is that occasionally when I close the driver's door window right after I raise the top, the window must come into contact with some part of the weatherstripping on the top, as when it nears the end of its track it reverses direction and immediately goes to full open. I know this is a safety feature built into the auto-close of the window to keep little fingers (and necks) from being crushed. It's far easier for me to just open the door a little if this occurrs, then to even think about what the so-called "techs" at the local dealership might try to do to fix it. My guess is they would either end up monkeying with the adjustment of the window or the top to try to resolve this issue.
I think I noticed the same thing, the car doesn't like having the front windows all the way up when you try to raise the rear windows. If you've just raised the top it will send the fronts all the way down unless you first raise the rears. At other times when the top has already been up and you close the rear windows when the fronts are already up, the rear windows make a loud popping noise as they seal against the front windows - freaked me out the first time I heard it.

Also, I remember reading in the owner's manual somewhere a procedure for resetting the front windows. It just involved holding the window switch down for 10 seconds and then up for 10 seconds, or something like that. I don't think this is your problem though - I think what we've been experiencing is normal for the car.

GatorGreg said:
I think I noticed the same thing, the car doesn't like having the front windows all the way up when you try to raise the rear windows. If you've just raised the top it will send the fronts all the way down unless you first raise the rears. At other times when the top has already been up and you close the rear windows when the fronts are already up, the rear windows make a loud popping noise as they seal against the front windows - freaked me out the first time I heard it.

Also, I remember reading in the owner's manual somewhere a procedure for resetting the front windows. It just involved holding the window switch down for 10 seconds and then up for 10 seconds, or something like that. I don't think this is your problem though - I think what we've been experiencing is normal for the car.

I only experience this when raising the windows immediately after putting the top up, and then only about 40% of the time. Once the top has been up and the window against it for awhile, everything "seats" and the window closes properly. I always put the back windows up first, then the fronts. My 95 & 96 Stang Convertibles seemed to seal better this way.

We're hijacking radtexas's thread here.....

Marine One said:
I always put the back windows up first, then the fronts. My 95 & 96 Stang Convertibles seemed to seal better this way.

On the passenger side if I had the front up then the back it would make a pop noise like the windows were out of line and poped in place. Worried me so did it in the back then front order and it has never done it again. I would hate to break one of those windows if out of line.

radtexas said:
Ever ask the dealership to see what they say? If it is one yours and mine then I guess all tops would have it. Yours still there or did they fade away?

I've never asked the dealer about them, no. They are still there, I've had it for a few months too. I've also washed it quite a few times, I don't think they're going anywhere. It doesn't bother me that much, but I did notice them myself. Hopefully someone can chime in if these are because there are support bars underneath, or some kind of defect.

Rerun said:
I've never asked the dealer about them, no. They are still there, I've had it for a few months too. I've also washed it quite a few times, I don't think they're going anywhere. It doesn't bother me that much, but I did notice them myself. Hopefully someone can chime in if these are because there are support bars underneath, or some kind of defect.

On mine the back is over support. Front is close but not exactly. Middle is in between the steel runners unless it is some type of fabric support added to the top but not steel reinforced. :shrug:

My saleman said bring it in and let the service guys look it over but want to try and solve here since it kind of scares me to do that.

radtexas said:
On mine the back is over support. Front is close but not exactly. Middle is in between the steel runners unless it is some type of fabric support added to the top but not steel reinforced. :shrug:

My saleman said bring it in and let the service guys look it over but want to try and solve here since it kind of scares me to do that.

radtexas,
Sending you a PM on another issue.

Did a little more checking from the inside and after I took off the edge trim and pulled down the inside fabric I noticed that there was something between the vinyl and inside fabric. Only thing is now how do I get it all back together? Any idea guys? Seems to have lost it stretch. Kind of like Tim Taylor always trying to fix something without the skills.

Just joking above. Not that stupid. :D

But seriously after feeling around from inside, it does seem to be a little thicker in the areas the stripes are. Maybe it is to prevent the top from looking like a bubble after a few years. Nothing looks worse than an older convertible that has a bubble in the middle of the top.

The only real flaw that I've discovered on my new car is that occasionally when I close the driver's door window right after I raise the top, the window must come into contact with some part of the weatherstripping on the top, as when it nears the end of its track it reverses direction and immediately goes to full open. I know this is a safety feature built into the auto-close of the window to keep little fingers (and necks) from being crushed. It's far easier for me to just open the door a little if this occurrs, then to even think about what the so-called "techs" at the local dealership might try to do to fix it. My guess is they would either end up monkeying with the adjustment of the window or the top to try to resolve this issue. This is the only one of the 3 Mustang Convertibles that I've owned that seals perfectly as it doesn't leak a drop anywhere. It's even passed the self-serv car wash test with flying colors.

I just got my wife an 06 WVBlue GT Convertible and had the exact same thing happen on the passenger side window. I had the dealer finally able to adjust the windows and seals after 4 attempts going back and forth with the thing. Fortunately it is still under warrantee till September. At least now it seals well with no leaks and functions as designed...

I have a '05 GT Vert with the same black vinyl top. Built in March 2005 if I remember correctly...and I'm still waiting for those support marks to "go away." Sure they will...when I sell the car!