Upgrade my 2003 GT

roadman4.6

Mar 9, 2010
Ohio
Giving serious thought of selling my '03 GT with only 32,000 miles that is basically stock and in mint condition. Looking at a 2007-2009 GT with low miles, preferably a California Special model.

Any input on going over to the newer model? What are the benefits the '07 - '09 has over the '99 - '04 models? Know the basic differences, but has anyone made this move that could give me any advice? Better ride, handling, easier upgrades, etc. Or should I save my money now and in 2-3 years go for a 5.0 (can't afford a new one).

Guess I should just test drive one and see the difference for myself, wonder if it is worth the extra $$$. Any advice would be helpful from someone who has already made the change.

• Sponsors (?)

man go to the new 5.0 and youll b more than happy other than that i would go to the 05-09 model. only 40 more hp than your current car and some define it as turd but hey i never drove one. man kennebell that 03 and make a monster. i just sold my 04 and went to the new 5.0

I had the 99 and 04 GT's for 6 years loved them but got bored.
My 06 is like driving a completly different car. The 5 speed automatic is a
huge plus, add 40 more HP and a 3 valve engine ...... huge difference.

I made the switch from an 03 to an 08 GT\CS in March. I got bored with the 03 too and wanted something a little more mature. I test drove exactly 1 car and bought it. I was not expecting the car to be so nice. It's a completely different car. No comparison whatsoever. Added CAI and tune and Bassani axlebacks ASAP. I swear it sure feels like more than 40 hp. And to top it of... It looks like a Mustang. Do yourself a favor and drive one. You can still get a 5.0 in a few years if you want. Do a search of my posts to see everything I have gushed about my Stang.;)

All that's going to come into play with if you want a car payment or not, myself if was in your shoes I would upgrade the 03 or get the new 5.0, i would put the 07-09 out the picture. Depends on what your looking for and how fast, just wait you will probably see a couple 11 models being turned in here and there. Imma tell you autotrader.com works wonders, just open the parameters up to search with 200 miles of your location. Sure there might be a drive in call for a good deal, but could be worth it (I drove 400 miles to pick up my 2012 just because they had the better deal for me, and the exact car I would of built from ford.com)

Thanks for the input everyone. Did some thinking and I think I'll hold out for the 5.0 in 2-4 years. An upgrade to the S197 would only get me 40 HP while the 5.0 would increase it by 150 HP. Based on what I saw in auto trader a GT/CS in the same condition would cost 10-15K more than my '03 is worth. I agree it is an entirely different car, but a lot of cash to lay down for 40 HP. Just don't know if I can wait 2-4 years until I save up! Do not want a car payment for a toy that sits during the Ohio winters, I try to pay cash. I found the best time to buy a Mustang in Ohio is in the dead of winter when someone is trying to get rid of a car payment. That's how I found mine from someone that was getting married and buying a house. First sign of spring they go up 2-3K around here.

An upgrade to the S197 would only get me 40 HP.

You get a lot more with the car then just the 40 HP upgrade. You get an updated chassis. A smoother more refined engine with a much better power band than the 2V 4.6 you're used to. And the interior and and looks upgrades (those are subjective though, I still think the New Edge Mustangs are one of the best looking Mustangs ever made). I understand your logic about getting a 5.0 in a couple years but, any s197 is a huge step up. I had a 90 LX Hatch for 7 years and it was highly modified (HCI suspension full exhaust forged bottom end etc etc) and when I got tired of it I went shopping for Terminator Cobras. The dealership I went to had an 04 Cobra that I drove and honestly aside from the mind bending power i was really disappointed in the way the car rode, it wasnt much better than my fox. Thats when I spotted the 10 GT I ended up buying all it took was a test drive. The power was about the same as my fox but the way it puts it to the ground and the refinement of the chassis will blow you away. Never mind all the interior and technology upgrades. Good luck in what ever you choose but dont let the almighty HP number keep you from getting something. The aftermarket for the 05 - 10 GTs is pretty robust. Plus I still get nervous about the whole Chinese built 6 speeds and the bad #8 cylinder issues the 5.0s have been getting. I dont wanna sound like chicken little but in my luck with cars I would definetly end up with or the other of those problems. Just my 2 cents worth

jim.