Roush upgrade to S281 E specs?

ximportdriver

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Rancho Cordova
I have a 99 S281 SC and want to port the blower, get a chicane pulley, a 75 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF and a SCT chip with a dyno tune.

I am thinking about upgrading to the S281 E specs for a couple of reasons:

1. My car has over 100k on the odometer
2. I want to make sure the engine will be able to handle the upgrades

Would this be a good idea, or is there something better I should do, or should I just leave the car alone?

• Sponsors (?)

after finding http://www.soec.org/literature/specsheets/, I saw that the E has the following:

forged steel crankshaft
forged steel connecting rods
forged aluminum pistons
aluminum heads w/ Saleen camshafts and super duty valve springs
90mm MAF
high flow fuel pump
11" flywheel and clutch

Now, to update my question, of the above list, what is all necessary to upgrade in my supercharged S281? For example, do I need to upgrade the fuel pump? Can I upgrade the flywheel and clutch to the larger 11" size? Do I need to get new heads?

If anyone else has done anything similar with their S281, your experience and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I want to ultimately be at the low 12s, but first I want to build the motor and then port the blower and get the Chicane 10 psi pulley and Accufab 75 mm throttle body, and I also want to go with a 6 speed transmission and improved axles and differential in the rear.

First off, the factory supercharger will not compete with the E blower. The E has a2.3L whipple...verse the 1.5L highly inefficient eaton roots blower.

Easiest way to do the built motor is to call VT Engines, and order one of their built shortblocks. I believe the only way to bump up to an 11 inch flywheel/clutch combo is to swap to a t3650 or t56 6speed tranny. The t45 in your car can only accept a 10.5inch to my knowledge...however Im not completely sure. But a prebuilt engine from VT is the way to go. The E also has some cams and ported heads which were probably not very well done considering the HP the cars made. A built engine with all the bolt ons +porting the blower will net you 375rwhp or so. YOu HAVE to upgrade the fuel system, bank on just buying some FRPP 42lb injectors, lightning maf, and a 03 cobra sumped tank/dual pump setup. That will easily handle what your wanting to throw at it and then some.

With 100k on the clock...i wouldnt throw anymore boost on that engine. If you have the money...step up to a KB 2.2 blower and with a built engine, you will make some crazy power.

I have a question about the stock supercharger and without actually creating a new thread i thought i would reply here because some of the q's were already answered i had before...

I just purchased a 2000 saleen and i'm thinking about keeping it stock like this for quite some time as it will be my daily driver...

The thing i would love to do is have 10psi boost on this supercharger... Will just adding the chicane pulley do this for me? or do i have to do anything else?

Does anyone have any info on the porting of the series I superchargers or something? I know a lot of people will say that the series I aren't worth it etc, but i'm not going to upgrade to any other any time soon.

Thanks a lot.

I have a 99 S281 SC and want to port the blower, get a chicane pulley, a 75 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF and a SCT chip with a dyno tune.

Would this be a good idea, or is there something better I should do, or should I just leave the car alone?

Building up a modular engine is an extremely expensive project, no matter which way you slice it.
I wouldn't dream of spending 10 grand to get E power.

What's your budget? That's the most important thing.

I think your plenum will support a 70mm TB not a 75. The Saleen IV is 75 MM, I think... Make sure that you get a mic., and measure it before you drop the money for a good TB... Also, sometime the Saleen computer Flash with not work with an SCT chip. You may have to get an X Cal II. I had the chip, and That is what I had to do because when my car was dynoed, Cai and Maf could not even be read or calibrated witht the chip... Also the good thing about an XCal II is that you can get a couple of tunes. One for daily use, and one for track use... All you have to do is plug the XCal in and load the tune...

I had my dynotune done at Murillo Motor Sports in San Antonio... I had a good experience there.. Great customer service

if your going to do a chicane pulley, I would get that pulley, 112inch belt, mosaleen idler, and a real dyno tune...make sure your not going lean. If you are going lean, more then likely the stock fuel pump cant keep up, in which case a focus pump will be sufficient.

As in an SVT focus pump.

yes an svt focus pump...it flows something like another 70gph more then a standard stang pump like in your car...I know..very odd

You could go ballin' and get a "ford gt" pump...they arent that expensive either

That is odd as you say. Why would Ford have the SVT Focus pump flow at a higher rate than the stang?