UPGRADES--BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK

Alright guys I need a little help putting a list together for cheap upgrades for horsepower,braking,handling etc...me and a buddy picked up an 87' and 88' GT's...were on a budget and pretty much set on the GT40 TOP END and 373 gears..were not building track cars but something to cruise and beat a camaro every now n then..so any tips,tricks or ideas would be appreciated......ill post pics as soon as I can

• Sponsors (?)

Subframes, suspension, gears,...get the power you make to the ground.

Dito. If you can get that baby to hook, you'll smoke quite a few Camaro's.
Had a buddy with a completely stock motor in his '03, with a nice suspension under it, and i've personally witnessed him straight up smoking guys with 3-4 thousand dollars under the hood but on the stock suspension.

Get the power you have to the ground, before you pack more power into the car.

I'd spend more money on the heads, a gt40 iron headed car isn't beating any ls series of camaro on the street, even the old f body ls1 camaro ran low 13's easy. The new ones break into the 12's, modern cars have way more power and are much easier to drive.

Seen plenty of GT40 top end cars put a hurting on an FBody LT1/LS1's. Sure, you can make an FBody really run with a few well placed mods...but in stock trim they're not unbeatable...especially the LT1's.

I think you're on the right track for your budget conscious goals. Most definitely don't neglect the suspension and chassis components. Stiffen that sucker up.

Seen plenty of GT40 top end cars put a hurting on an FBody LT1/LS1's. Sure, you can make an FBody really run with a few well placed mods...but in stock trim they're not unbeatable...especially the LT1's.

I think you're on the right track for your budget conscious goals. Most definitely don't neglect the suspension and chassis components. Stiffen that sucker up.

^this

Dammit Brian. Stop saying :poo: I agree with.

Great thread! Also my favorite view.
20.creation.jpg

2.tod.gif

Never said anything about LT1's, probably because i almost never see any around my way anymore.

LS1 camaro's run quarter with trap speeds of 105+ right out of the box.
They certainly aren't unbeatable, but a JY gt40 iron setup isn't going to be outrunning many of the old ones and probably none of the new ones.

I think sometimes you guys read too much into things, the OP says it's not going to be a track car, so we should assume that slicks are out, and investing enough money in gt40 iron heads to get the average non track guy into the 11's just make for a sensible comparison. A purpose built factory stock setup is far from what you get when you goto the junkyard and take some parts off an explorer.

In a stop light race between an ls series camaro and a box stock gt40p or iron mustang, i'd put my money on the camaro most of the time.
From a roll? I'd put my money on it every time.

My intention wasn't to make this a pissing match to beat camaro's, my intention was to suggest to the OP that if he really wants to beat the ones we are most likely to see on the street, that instead of gt40 heads, search used and find something a little bit better in aluminum.

Never said anything about LT1's, probably because i almost never see any around my way anymore.

LS1 camaro's run quarter with trap speeds of 105+ right out of the box.
They certainly aren't unbeatable, but a JY gt40 iron setup isn't going to be outrunning many of the old ones and probably none of the new ones.

I think sometimes you guys read too much into things, the OP says it's not going to be a track car, so we should assume that slicks are out, and investing enough money in gt40 iron heads to get the average non track guy into the 11's just make for a sensible comparison. A purpose built factory stock setup is far from what you get when you goto the junkyard and take some parts off an explorer.

In a stop light race between an ls series camaro and a box stock gt40p or iron mustang, i'd put my money on the camaro most of the time.
From a roll? I'd put my money on it every time.

My intention wasn't to make this a pissing match to beat camaro's, my intention was to suggest to the OP that if he really wants to beat the ones we are most likely to see on the street, that instead of gt40 heads, search used and find something a little bit better in aluminum.
granted my cars a bit on the lighter side... but i went 107mph with E7's an exploder intake... 65mm throttle body SN95MAF 14* of timing 373's exhaust and a B cam. oh yea i missed 2nd gear. me running with an LS1 car door to door isnt an issue. me ripping the ass outta one out the gate is a givin. you really underestimate how easy it is to make one run good. i expect to trap near 115ish when the GT40 stuff goes on.

granted my cars a bit on the lighter side... but i went 107mph with E7's an exploder intake... 65mm throttle body SN95MAF 14* of timing 373's exhaust and a B cam. oh yea i missed 2nd gear. me running with an LS1 car door to door isnt an issue. me ripping the ass outta one out the gate is a givin. you really underestimate how easy it is to make one run good. i expect to trap near 115ish when the GT40 stuff goes on.

Be realistic though, you are a hardcore racer after every tenth correct?
It's just not fair to compare that to the average guy with a street car.
I'm well aware that most things are possible with a fox, i've been doing this a long time, but possible and typical are very different.
Had the OP said he was building an all out drag car, in all likelyhood i wouldn't have responded to his post at all.

If the car isn't going to the track, a street to street comparison is much better. You guys are comparing cars setup for the track to every day camaro's. Regular tires to regular tires at a stop light, even if a gt4o car gets out front, the camaro is going to run it down eventually. Let's not forget that new camaro's come in an automatic that is pretty much point and shoot, there are guys running 13.20's off the showroom that have never even had a sports car before.

At some point you gotta make the distinction in what is a street car that runs at the track and a track car that drives on the street.
I wouldn't exactly consider cars with no a/c, no PS, no backseat, no sound deadening, nd electric water pumps a good "cruiser".

Not trying to create a pissing match. Just letting the OP know that the GT40 top end isn't the "waste of money" that you may be surmising them to be. You stated that they wouldn't be beating an LSX cars on the street....and I know they have. Are the LSX cars faster when it comes right down to it....sure. Stock for stock, the Fox Mustang doesn't stand a chance. Are the decidedly faster that they're guaranteed to blow your sox off every single time....nope....not the way people are bolting on parts now a days. I mean....who's got a "stock" Mustang anymore?

I've seen FBodies trap under 100mph and run high-13's at the track on several occasions and I've seen bolt on Fox's sporting factory ford iron heads dip deep into the 12's and trap low hundreds....so the wins can be as hit and miss as anything. :shrug:

Yes...high dollar aluminum top ends are most certainly going to net better results...but for under $500...the GT40 top end is still a pretty good bang for your buck.

Be realistic though, you are a hardcore racer after every tenth correct?
It's just not fair to compare that to the average guy with a street car.
I'm well aware that most things are possible with a fox, i've been doing this a long time, but possible and typical are very different.
Had the OP said he was building an all out drag car, in all likelyhood i wouldn't have responded to his post at all.

If the car isn't going to the track, a street to street comparison is much better. You guys are comparing cars setup for the track to every day camaro's. Regular tires to regular tires at a stop light, even if a gt4o car gets out front, the camaro is going to run it down eventually. Let's not forget that new camaro's come in an automatic that is pretty much point and shoot, there are guys running 13.20's off the showroom that have never even had a sports car before.

At some point you gotta make the distinction in what is a street car that runs at the track and a track car that drives on the street.
I wouldn't exactly consider cars with no a/c, no PS, no backseat, no sound deadening, nd electric water pumps a good "cruiser".

not with my car...its mostly suspension and tire. i still drive it on the street when i can but getting a bit more serious about it this year though.

Not trying to create a pissing match. Just letting the OP know that the GT40 top end isn't the "waste of money" that you may be surmising them to be. You stated that they wouldn't be beating an LSX cars on the street....and I know they have. Are the LSX cars faster when it comes right down to it....sure. Stock for stock, the Fox Mustang doesn't stand a chance. Are the decidedly faster that they're guaranteed to blow your sox off every single time....nope....not the way people are bolting on parts now a days. I mean....who's got a "stock" Mustang anymore?

I've seen FBodies trap under 100mph and run high-13's at the track on several occasions and I've seen bolt on Fox's sporting factory ford iron heads dip deep into the 12's and trap low hundreds....so the wins can be as hit and miss as anything. :shrug:

Yes...high dollar aluminum top ends are most certainly going to net better results...but for under $500...the GT40 top end is still a pretty good bang for your buck.

You have a fair assessment of how i feel, basically i think gt40 iron have good use to get a car back up and running because you need it, or you blew your engine and need another one while being broke.
Do i think people should go out of their way to get them as a modification? Not really. In a world where v6 mustangs and hyundai's run 13 second time slips right off the showroom floor, i just don't think they offer as much bang as needed to stay ahead of the curve.

It wasn't that long ago people laughed at japanese car enthusiasts who put money their front wheel drive rides, only to make them no quicker than bone stock american rwd vehicles. Gt40 heads aren't far from that idea.

Not many camaro's are stock these days either. I'm no camaro fanboy, but i have alot of respect for them. The fact that someone has to change the entire top end of their mustang to almost be at par with one, says enough.

Maybe it's just me and that as time has gone i've tired of doing things twice, more time, more money, more headaches.
I'd rather just economize with the best (or close to it).