Upgrades....help!

RLC

May 25, 2012
Northern Indiana
I want to go a lil bit faster. Can you guys help me figure out what to do and where to get it? I am on a budget so it will be a long term project. My long term goal is to keep up with gt mustangs of the same body style as mine (99-03). So, where do i start? I already have a KN filter and exhaust. What's next? I am not very mechanically minded but i do have a few mechanic friends that can help.
So, how do i go about beefing up a v6? Any links would be appreciated too. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission. When you say "keep up with GT mustangs", do you mean drag racing, roll racing, cornering...?

If it's drag racing, suspension & tire upgrades will do it, along with maybe a taller rear gear. If it's roll racing, you'll need more power. If it's cornering, suspension & tire mods alone will get you there.

IMO, the best bang for the buck is a service manual. A slower car that runs is faster than a broken fast car. A service manual will give the DIY'er the information needed to actual fix your own car.

Seriously, are you looking to do the work yourself or pay someone to do it for you? I firmly believe that paying for "mod"ing will quickly turn the hobby in to a "rich man's" sport.

signed

Ward Cleaver

I have a haynes manual already. Im not really paying anything except for parts. A friend of mine is a mechanic and helps me with anything as long as i help too. We did lots of work on my old truck. I would've spent thousands in labor if i had it done by a pro. I like learning a bit.

Alright, here's my new idea...it would be a heck of a lot cheaper too.
Since the stang is my daily driver, it doesn't make a lot of sense to tear the whole motor apart to upgrade it. I might as well go get another 3.8 motor and have it built up. It will give me more of a chance to work on it and get it all tuned up right. Once everything is all put together, i can take a few days off work and swap motors. It will be a long term job.
So...this is going to be a big learning experience. I'm not motor-minded at all.

well by that logic you might as well just go buy a whole other car if the one you have now is your daily driver. You sound like a few friends my brother has.

my only advice is don't wear out your welcome, sometimes it gets annoying when people always want you to help them with their motor and all that good stuff. Good luck!

Alright, here's my new idea...it would be a heck of a lot cheaper too.
Since the stang is my daily driver, it doesn't make a lot of sense to tear the whole motor apart to upgrade it. I might as well go get another 3.8 motor and have it built up. It will give me more of a chance to work on it and get it all tuned up right. Once everything is all put together, i can take a few days off work and swap motors. It will be a long term job.
So...this is going to be a big learning experience. I'm not motor-minded at all.

I'd consider boost or a motor swap. Either choice offers good gains with relatively minimal down time. Of course, if you significantly increase your hp, you'll want to upgrade your suspension and tires in order to utilize the extra power.

Right. I'm hoping for about 300 horses in the end. All i think i need to do is have the intake and heads polished and such. Plus i like the idea of the "lumpy" cam on supersix motorsports website. Makes a 3.8 sound meaner. A turbo or supercharger would have to be done all at once though. I'm on a budget.
I thought of just slowly acquiring a new intake and heads and whatnot that are factory spec, then having them bored and polished. Would that be cheaper than buying a new performance set?

If you can hold onto your money then just save a few thousand up and buy a supercharger. Procharger Stage II Intercooled Supercharger. Youll have 300 horses easy from that alone and nobody would expect it.