Upgrades on fastback 67

hellsp4wnz

Mar 22, 2009
Hey guys, I've been saving money and soon (somewhere in the next 2 years) I'll buy and start my first project car (if I'll do it right it will be my only one too).

so I want some help to understand a little more what I'm get into, I'll numerize the question but explain why I'm asking some of them, because I did a little research but I want to have different opinions and explanations.

1) Rust: where I CAN'T afford to have rust in a project car? I understand that wanting a project car to be in perfect conditions means a whole lot of money, and many cars I've been looking to buy have some rust, I know it's bad, but, how bad can I take in order to perfectly reform the car?

2) if possibly, without losing the 4 speed manual transmission, what is a good choice for an engine? that improves the old one, in terms of consumption and power. to clarify, I'm not looking for a ferrari power, just a engine that can reach 135 mph and if possible has a efficient fuel consumption (eletronic injection) .

3) can I add air conditioner to a originally non air conditioner car? also, power windows and a usb radio?

the reason why I'm asking those questions is because I'm from Brazil, and I will purchase the referred car in the us, so in order to do so, I have to calculate how much money I will have to bring it here and how much will I spend in restoring it, and balance if I will start restoring it in US (the most important things for me are the engine, transmission, and other key points in the car that I don't trust anyone in my country to understand or actually know the way to install those things. To be true I wish only to do the painting here, and bring all the rest from the us, but I have to sum up the bill

thanks ahead

• Sponsors (?)

1. In general, if you get a car from southern california, arizona, nevada, new mexico or west texas, it will have little or no rust. Some rust in the door corners, around the back lite glass, and the rocker panels is normal even in dry climates. A well cared for car in those areas may have none, but expect to pay more.

2. With the right gears, a well built 302 can reach 135 mph. However, I'd go with a 351W to make it more reasonable for normal driving and still have the power to hit 135. You can get very respectable gas mileage with a carburetor, just make sure it's a) vacuum secondary b) annular primaries and you have an overdrive transmission. With top speed being your goal, I'd recommned 3:25 rear end gears (or lower numerically). Also, a lighter car will be easier to propel than a heavier one, so you may want to consider a coupe instead of a fastback.

3. Yes, there are several aftermarket kits for adding air to a non air car. However, some cars are easier to start with one that came with air, such as the 69-70s.

Hey guys, I've been saving money and soon (somewhere in the next 2 years) I'll buy and start my first project car (if I'll do it right it will be my only one too).

so I want some help to understand a little more what I'm get into, I'll numerize the question but explain why I'm asking some of them, because I did a little research but I want to have different opinions and explanations.

Great move. I've seen people buy the car first, then start learning about Mustangs. You'll save a lotta time and money by doing your homework.

1) Rust: where I CAN'T afford to have rust in a project car? I understand that wanting a project car to be in perfect conditions means a whole lot of money, and many cars I've been looking to buy have some rust, I know it's bad, but, how bad can I take in order to perfectly reform the car?
Cowl, floors, and frame rails are the worst place. Fenders, hood, valence panels, doors are better, because they are bolt-on replaceable.

2) if possibly, without losing the 4 speed manual transmission, what is a good choice for an engine? that improves the old one, in terms of consumption and power. to clarify, I'm not looking for a ferrari power, just a engine that can reach 135 mph and if possible has a efficient fuel consumption (eletronic injection) .
EFI is an expensive and unnecessary retrofit on these cars. Even the common 302 V8 can easily be upgraded to 350 hp, that's enough to get you arrested for speeding anywhere. The 4-speed was excellent and strong, but any of these cars can be fitted with a T5 5-speed.

3) can I add air conditioner to a originally non air conditioner car? also, power windows and a usb radio?
AC is a common and desirable upgrade, there are numerous kits. Power windows can be done, and there are many USB-equipped radios for these cars.

the reason why I'm asking those questions is because I'm from Brazil, and I will purchase the referred car in the us, so in order to do so, I have to calculate how much money I will have to bring it here and how much will I spend in restoring it, and balance if I will start restoring it in US (the most important things for me are the engine, transmission, and other key points in the car that I don't trust anyone in my country to understand or actually know the way to install those things. To be true I wish only to do the painting here, and bring all the rest from the us, but I have to sum up the bill
Good planning.