Upgrading to a 4 barrel carb

Crs

May 7, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I'm upgrading to a 4 bbl carb on my 68. It's a fresh 289 build with a .448/.212 @.050 cam ...... stock rebuilt heads.........and 3.50 gears(c4).I'm looking for a set up with the best throttle response and good top end. Are the summit intake/carb set ups good?

• Sponsors (?)

the summit carbs are made by holley for summit racing, and are essentially the old 4010 carbs that holley put on the market years ago, but eventually pulled because they didnt sell that well. they are a good carb though, i like them better than the original holley design as the summit carbs dont run fuel through a gasketed area.

i also like the edelbrock 600 cfm carbs as well, a friend of mine and i have a total of 7 that are various ages, the oldest being about 10 years old, and none of them have any issues. i also agree going with a 600 cfm carb is right for your combination, and i recommend using either a performer rpm or weiand stealth intake.

Thank to all for your input. I narrowed it down to a edelbrock 600 or a Holley 570SA. As far as gears go.............3.50's with a c4 on the highway keep the rpm's up a little. I use a pretty short tire @ 25 3/4" tall, but looking to get a taller tire.

if you do a lot of freeway driving, i would recommend using a 2.80 or 3.00 gear. i would also set up a second pumpkin with some stiffer gears for the track if you are so inclined.

Go with either the Summit carb or a 570 SA. And bolt it onto an RPM, Weiand Stealth or a Ford A321 intake. No sense in using a Performer intake, you'll only end up with a limited topend. You'll get the same bottom end with the high rise dual planes as you will with a Performer.