Upgrading Valve Springs on AFR 185's...sigh...

ImportEater98

Mar 17, 2003
Worcester, MA
Hey folks....looking for some real answers here. I have scoured the net trying to find a solution to an apparent common problem with AFR valve springs. Back when i bought my 185's i declined the spring upgrade as my cam was a meager .512"/.512" lift. I i have just installed my new hydraulic roller cam (.598/.596) that is just too big for the springs to handle. I am all ready to install stronger springs, but i can't find any that are a direct replacement. The only solution to this is FTI's drop in valve springs. Only problem there is i have emailed and never got a response, and there is no number to call Ed directly. :bang: The worst part about it, is i could literally drive 1/2 hour to where he is and pick them up, but i don't know where his shop is. Anyways...without using FTI's springs, or sending the heads back to afr for a $400 valve/spring/retainer/machine work upgrade...do i have any possible options? The springs COMP spec.'d for the cam are #987s, but the inside diameter isn't large enough to accomidate AFR's retainers.....UGH! Help! Does anyone have a REAL solution for my problem? Thanks a lot for any info!

• Sponsors (?)

Im going through a similar problem, only i PAID for the upgrade when i bought them 3 years ago.

blew up a piston, and had to rebuild one sylinders worth of springs, etc.

Lo and behold, after buying the replacement upgrade parts, i find out i never got the upgrade i paid for, still had the normal springs in there.

great news when im running a .565/.574 lift in a high RPM application.

If you can get a hold of Ed, def do that, its the cheap way out.

ill be sending my heads to the machine shop to have them recut the seats to fit the 1.55" spring.

Just wait for FTI and get his drop in replacements.

I really want to go that route, but if i can't reach him through email than there is nothing else i can do....this really stinks because i have everything else that is stalled right now because i can't go any further without the new springs.

Someone had asked me about valve reliefs. I have aftermarket forged pistons with oversized reliefs that are ready for big lift.

I assume you haven't heard from Ed yet? I can call him on his "bat phone" I assume you looking for the PS3 valve springs and the Viton retainers. Ed's a busy man and he was at PRI a few weeks back, plus the holiday so things I am sure are crazy, this time of year is always busy.

I can get the parts for you... contact me directly [email protected]

The AFR upgrade is as stated above, longer valves, different retainers, etc... I prefer Ed's drop in upgrade.

I assume you haven't heard from Ed yet? I can call him on his "bat phone" I assume you looking for the PS3 valve springs and the Viton retainers. Ed's a busy man and he was at PRI a few weeks back, plus the holiday so things I am sure are crazy, this time of year is always busy.

I can get the parts for you... contact me directly [email protected]

The AFR upgrade is as stated above, longer valves, different retainers, etc... I prefer Ed's drop in upgrade.

Thanks Rick....email sent to you!