Upper Control Arm Bolt Play

hemi_fan

Apr 8, 2004
Ontario, Canada
I have had a nagging clunking issue coming from the rear end of my car for a little while now. i thought it was the insane amount of backlash in my gearing but I had the rear-end rebuilt with new gears and it did not help.

Then I started to think it was the UCA bushings in the differential. When I put new control arms in a few years back I didn't replace the diff bushings. I bought new bushings and am 3/4 of the way through replacing them. I also got new control arm bolts. I removed one of the uppers to replace the bolts and noticed that the bolt is really loose in the bushing.

Is it normal for the chassis end bushing to have a larger diameter hole than the diff end bushing? The bolt fits in the diff end with little play but wriggles around like crazy in the chassis end. I'm thinking this is where the clunking is coming from!

They are Ford Racing upper control arms with 5.0 Resto stock replacement bolts BTW.

• Sponsors (?)

The diff bushings are probably 1/16" larger than the bolt shank. The control arm bushings are probably 2-3/16" larger than the bolt shank. They don't appear to be damaged, but rather came that way from the factory.