upper & lower control arm squeaks

A few weeks ago me and my dad put on a set of D&D upper & lower control arms. Well yesterday I took my tailpipes off b/c I thought the sound was them hitting on the uppers. I was right, but wrong. They had been rubbing, but it still makes the sound.

I think it is the bushings creaking or something like that. It sounds like a popping or binding sound. I dont know if you are supposed to put grease on the side of the bushings on the arms or what so we didnt. This sucks, it makes this noise alot and I feel like my car is a total pos now.

Thanks for the help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Most, if not all, rear control arms with poly bushings come with zerk fittings. You know, the little fittings for the grease gun. Look on your control arms. See if you see little holes where the zerks should go. If the arms didn't come with the fittings, you can go buy them at any auto parts store for cheap. Also, if there are no holes for the fittings, buy four zerks, get your drill out with a one size smaller bit then the zerks, and drill the arms at the bushings and thread the zerks in, then grease them. I had the same problem as you, I just regreased them, and it stopped.

Nick

not that it is even relevant, but my front poly bushings squeak too - i knew they would. has anyone tapped them for zerks? i had not even thought of doing it till now, and i cant remember what the set up looks like in there (to get a fitting on there).

When you get control arms or what not with the holes for zerk fittings, the holes are not even tapped. You just ratchet the fittings in and they make their own threads. And yes, you can tap them. Just make sure that you get all the way through the metal. Don't worry about hitting the bushing, just don't drill all the way through to the other side. lol.

Nick

HISSIN50 said:
not that it is even relevant, but my front poly bushings squeak too - i knew they would. has anyone tapped them for zerks? i had not even thought of doing it till now, and i cant remember what the set up looks like in there (to get a fitting on there).
The best place to tap them would be from the bottom. Just get under the car, and where the control arm meets the k member, the bushings there... just drill a hole in the middle on both bushings. Those would be easy, as you can easily get to the metal bushing sleeve to drill.

Nick

Stang8URMPRT said:
The best place to tap them would be from the bottom. Just get under the car, and where the control arm meets the k member, the bushings there... just drill a hole in the middle on both bushings. Those would be easy, as you can easily get to the metal bushing sleeve to drill.

Nick
thanks Nick - i will take a looksie under there manana and see how they look (been long enough i dont remember).
thanks again.