Upper Radiator Hose

mustangapril

Sep 14, 2008
Yuma, AZ
Noticed leaking of radiator fluid and saw ....oh how do I explain it.....dry "corosion" but it's not corosion on the connection of my hose closest to the front of the car. I figured it was a seal problem and because I had never replaced the hose to just go ahead and replace it thinking the leaking would stop.

Replaced and filled it up with more antifreeze 2 days ago, now my light kicked back on "low coolant" GRRRRRRRRRR looked at the same area and there it is again....a brand new hose now with dried on antifreeze (?) I'm assuming it's antifreeze. What in the WORLD is going on?

p.s. Sorry, yes, we still need to use our a/c here in Arizona in the middle of November lol

• Sponsors (?)

Have a look along the side of the radiator, where the side tank meets the core, and see if you see any more evidence of leakage. It hasn't come up in a while, but one problem with our cars has been with the plastic tanks on the radiator leaking where they meet the core itself. Usually it's not much, but I would imagine a hot climate like Arizona has would exacerbate the problem, since it really has a tendency to stress the cooling system.

Have a look along the side of the radiator, where the side tank meets the core, and see if you see any more evidence of leakage. It hasn't come up in a while, but one problem with our cars has been with the plastic tanks on the radiator leaking where they meet the core itself. Usually it's not much, but I would imagine a hot climate like Arizona has would exacerbate the problem, since it really has a tendency to stress the cooling system.

I agree with StangGT. Assuming all connections are tight, another common issue with our cars (besides the harmonic balancer as youve recently discovered) is leakage from the radiator as described. Its a slight issue on my car but Im getting an aluminum radiator in the spring when I put the 5 speed in so I didnt bother attempting any repair before I put her up for the winter. Lucky you, you get to drive year round. Though when I lived in New Mexico, we occasionally got snow in the winter.