UPS Claim! Ruined seats, will they help?

TheSalad

Aug 3, 2003
Utah
All right. I bought some seats off a nice gentleman in Michigan for my 86 SVO..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110003839448

He says "YOU WILL BE VERY SATISFIED WITH THIS ITEM."

And I would have been, had UPS not put some serious weight on the box..:nonono:
The aftermath in pictures..

V Normal Seat V

V Broken Seat V

I thought something was up when the seat track was bent on the one side, and the plastic housing was broken, and the seat didnt go backwards very well..

The man in MI that sent them to me took them to a UPS store to have it boxed and mailed, they did it all. What are the chances of getting UPS to reimburse me, replace the seats(seeing as they are from a 85 McClaren Vert...good luck), or get me other ones..

What do I need to do to get things rolling? Does the guy in MI need to do anything?
Any help would be appreciated...I used to love the brown shorts people, but I want to get back what they ruined.

• Sponsors (?)

I have no idea...Do you have to insure it for them do not break your stuff? That is a dumb policy..they take special care of all the insured stuff, and just toss around the non-insured packages?

If he didnt insure it, am I toast?

I deal with shipping guitars and amps and usually if you pack it yourself and they break it your **** out of luck, but if the ups store packed it, but the seller didn't insure it then you might still be able to file a claim.

Right, the auction was a "no ship" and I told him I would pay for the store to pack it, and thats the way they did it..
I hope I get something...what exactly do I need to do to get the claim filed?

Or..I could take the covers off my old seat, and put the leather on the new one...how do you get the little twist knobs off on the side?

By the look of the box, it was UPS.. I took off the rear part of the seat cover, and it is a serious bend in the metal frame.

How hard can it be to move a box 2000 miles without screwing it all up? I think we are surrounded by morons! I am really upset with the "quality" of people lately..idiots are all around.

Is there any chance that the guy shafted you? I mean, could the seats have been messed up before they were shipped? Reason I ask, lets say you call UPS and describe your situation and they say "we didn't mess anything up" ... unless you have before and after pics or something...

Call UPS and file a claim, ups comes with a minimum of $100 insurance. On the form you fill out you put the value of the item. You should get reimbursed for the value you paid plus your shipping refunded. You need proof of what you paid for the seats and be prepared it will take a while to get the $$.

TheSalad said:
The aftermath in pictures..

What do I need to do to get things rolling? Does the guy in MI need to do anything?
Any help would be appreciated...I used to love the brown shorts people, but I want to get back what they ruined.
Technically that's an open box and UPS won't ship a box that's open so one of the carriers ****ed it up

tomustang said:
Technically that's an open box and UPS won't ship a box that's open so one of the carriers ****ed it up
Tell that to the guys in customs. They'll rip your package to pieces before doing a half assed job of taping it back together. UPS had no problem taking the package from them. I had a set of headers show up at my door all ripped to **** with half the bolts missing.....same deal with my PI heads....The previous owner shipped them unassembled and when the boxes finally arrived, I'd lost a few bolts and a couple of rocker arms.

Called UPS to make a claim and after over an hour on the phone and about half a dozen different transfers and disconnects, it turned out to be more trouble that in was worth. I just ended up buying new bolts and using some of the feelers from my '96. :nonono: From now of, if I can help it, I’ll ship it with USPS, Canada Post or Fed Ex.

UPS SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!

I took the bottom part of the seat apart, and am thinking of just using my old seat bottom, and taking both seat bottoms to a seat place and have them switch the covers..I think that will work? Only like $30 or so for them to do that...

TheSalad said:
I took the bottom part of the seat apart, and am thinking of just using my old seat bottom, and taking both seat bottoms to a seat place and have them switch the covers..I think that will work? Only like $30 or so for them to do that...

Only 1 is messed up right? If so, can't you just bend that piece back out?

You can use the runners off your old seats (if you aren't already) ... Oh yeah, FWIW 150 bucks is a good deal for two seats! :nice:

I know, and the leather is pretty nice on them too..I guess I could take it to a machine shop and see if they can bend it back out..I am worried that the reclining assembly was bent too..but we will see. I will take a better look at it tomorrow, and maybe take the seat bottom to a machine shop in the afternoon.

The last thing I need is a long drawn out process that I am sure comes with the claim..

Some experience with UPS.. the shipper must file the claim. If they did not purchase insurance, UPS will only cover $100. If they did purchase insurance, they must comply with UPS's shipping requirements (box, packing material, dimensions, etc). A claim agent will be assigned to your case and will come to site and take pics (you can optionally send in your pics if you get the claim agents email address).

Basically, it boils down to this:

1. Never receive anything not insured.

2. Never sign for anything that comes in a damaged box.

Good luck!

HELL NO they will pay for this!!!!!

Hey man, here is what you need to do call the seller and get the papers from him that says that UPS packaged the seats. The reciept will state the he paid for the box and the packing material. Keep EVERYTHING and take it to a UPS store. Explain it all and tell them that you want UPS to pay for the damage.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/tracking/claims.html

I work at UPS Worldport we see this type of thing all of the time. boxes get fked up by the belts and the irregualr package system all of the time. Most of the time it is noticed before it leaves us and we fix the problem product and everything, some times it gets delivered fked up though.

Miles said:
Some experience with UPS.. the shipper must file the claim. If they did not purchase insurance, UPS will only cover $100. If they did purchase insurance, they must comply with UPS's shipping requirements (box, packing material, dimensions, etc). A claim agent will be assigned to your case and will come to site and take pics (you can optionally send in your pics if you get the claim agents email address).

Basically, it boils down to this:

1. Never receive anything not insured.

2. Never sign for anything that comes in a damaged box.

Good luck!

UPS dont require a signature anymore

Gearbanger 101 said:
Tell that to the guys in customs. They'll rip your package to pieces before doing a half assed job of taping it back together. UPS had no problem taking the package from them. I had a set of headers show up at my door all ripped to **** with half the bolts missing.....same deal with my PI heads....The previous owner shipped them unassembled and when the boxes finally arrived, I'd lost a few bolts and a couple of rocker arms.

Called UPS to make a claim and after over an hour on the phone and about half a dozen different transfers and disconnects, it turned out to be more trouble that in was worth. I just ended up buying new bolts and using some of the feelers from my '96. :nonono: From now of, if I can help it, I’ll ship it with USPS, Canada Post or Fed Ex.

UPS SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!

CUSTOMS those asshats, i work in that area and they will go through every page of a magazine to see if you hid something in there, DONT SEND ILLEGEAL STUFF THROUGH UPS EVER LOL