Used parts pile is getting bigger - and bigger

67topless

Mar 31, 2006
Raleigh, NC
It kills me to toss my original parts that I replace with after-market, but there doesn't seem to be any demand for them. Anyone ever take your-stuff to a junk yard for a donation?

For example, I have the leaf springs I just replaced this weekend. I know they can be worked on to make them better... and I don't want to just throw them in the trash. I know they aren't really worth anything though.

Better examples that I probably will hang on to:

Autolite 2 barrel carb
Cast iron intake
vale covers
Breather
Cast iron headers

What do you guys / gals do with your stock junk that gets replaced?

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on what it is. Some stuff I keep, while some stuff gets tossed. For example I don't see a lot of use for the 2V intake, but a good clean set of valve covers can always come in handy.

i put all the heavy parts in a pile bound for the used metal recyclers. can ususally get a few bucks for it. otherwise a lot of that stuff is just worthless. old leaf springs, cast iron intakes, old engine blocks, cranks, etc. that aren't worth anything for rebuilders make good candidates

i keep most of the parts that I take off that were original like the intake, however things like springs i just put outside with the trash....someone almost always comes to pick it up before the garbage men get there.

My buddy put a destroyed rear end out of his camaro on the curb...it was gone in 30 min!!