Used stock push rods, but was supposed to use hardened push rods

ldubmter

Mar 1, 2012
How much trouble am I in? My books say big trouble. I've only put maybe 50 miles on it. My books say that stock pushrods installed on heads that have guide plates will cause the rods to break down and metal shavings will get in the oil and ruin the engine. What should I do? I'm thinking:

A) Install the correct push rods
B) Drain the oil
C) Drive some
D) Drain the oil again.

I didn't install the heads. My mechanic did, and I didn't find out until recently that he put in the stock rods. I don't know why he did this.

Noob question. I'm not totally convinced the the stock rods are the right lengths. Is it hard to size them?

Supposing I can get the right size, are these tough to install? I'm thinking I can just take off the upper intake, valve covers, and rocker arms.

Also, with rocker arms, I'm guessing their toqured to some spec, but is there more to it?
FYI, the heads are edlebrock performer heads, 60 ccc chamber.

Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd get them out of there ASAP, it's possible nothing will happen, but more than likely you'll FUBAR them up or the metal shavings problem. Neither is good. You're thinking is correct in terms of installing new ones. Pretty cut and dry. But before you go purchasing new pushrods, making sure you have the right length is obviously required. Good luck to ya