Using fox body t-5 in our cars?

• Sponsors (?)

i did the swap in mine and your gonna need the fox bellhousing and clutch fork. Also your going to need the driveshaft spacer that UPR sells to make up the difference in the input shafts.

To be on the safe side, I'd pick up the spacer for peace of mind. Without it, you risk having the yoke on the driveshaft not fully engaging the splines on the output shaft, which could lead to some wobbling from the driveshaft, and could take out the bushing in the tailhousing. If that happens, you'll be rebuilding/replacing the trans again after all those nice little metal shavings make their way through every moving part inside.

I had some major issues with the tranny mount too. I don't know why this tranny is special but when I used to have a TKO in my car I only had to drill the holes on the crossmember to be a little wider, but this T5 WC tranny I got off my buddy's car (a 95 GT, though his was an auto conversion) we had to RIG a metal adapter because it was like 3" off line with my crossmember! :bs: I didn't think I was going to need the adapter he built for his since his was originally an auto and mine was always a 5 speed. Did we do something wrong or are these WC tranny's different?

In either case, you might beware of that. You will probably at least have to rheme out those holes like I did when putting my TKO in there (which is set up like the FOX's as far as input shaft and shifter location go.)

Oh yeah, and my buddy had the spacer on his but I chose not to use it on mine b/c there was plenty of the yoke that went into the tranny. So I have an extra UPR spacer if interested! :)

the install of a fox t5 is along the lines of a tremec tko install as far as parts needed. you will need the fox bell and clutch fork as well as a driveshaft spacer. you dont absolutely need a spacer, but the driveshaft didnt sit far enough into the transmission to make me comfortable when the tko went in. the extra $40 was well worth the peace of mind.

I had some major issues with the tranny mount too. I don't know why this tranny is special but when I used to have a TKO in my car I only had to drill the holes on the crossmember to be a little wider, but this T5 WC tranny I got off my buddy's car (a 95 GT, though his was an auto conversion) we had to RIG a metal adapter because it was like 3" off line with my crossmember! :bs: I didn't think I was going to need the adapter he built for his since his was originally an auto and mine was always a 5 speed. Did we do something wrong or are these WC tranny's different?

In either case, you might beware of that. You will probably at least have to rheme out those holes like I did when putting my TKO in there (which is set up like the FOX's as far as input shaft and shifter location go.)

Oh yeah, and my buddy had the spacer on his but I chose not to use it on mine b/c there was plenty of the yoke that went into the tranny. So I have an extra UPR spacer if interested! :)

You mentioned a metal adapter you had to make. A stock 94/95 5 speed car comes with a steel plate (exhaust hanger) that offsets the mounting points about an inch or so apart. You tranny mount gets bolted to the plate and the plate gets bolted to the tranny.

You mentioned a metal adapter you had to make. A stock 94/95 5 speed car comes with a steel plate (exhaust hanger) that offsets the mounting points about an inch or so apart. You tranny mount gets bolted to the plate and the plate gets bolted to the tranny.

Well isn't that something! It's been so long since I've had the car in stock form I forget things like that ever existed! I haven't used that bracket since this crappy used H-pipe I got never fit right. I don't even know where that bracket is anymore!

My question is....why doesn't the mounting of a Fox T-5 mount up to roughly the same point as the TKO did? I haven't had that bracket on there for a long time....as a matter of fact I think I removed that bracket when I installed my crappy used H-pipe I got that never fit right. :nonono: Even if what you say is true, and I'm not doubting you, I am still much further than an inch away from my crossmember. I'll have to shoot a picture and post it on here. I'll probably start a new post so that I don't hi-jack this one! :D

Put it this way, even fox guys have to modify their tranny crossmember to install a Tremec 3550/TKO tranny. Their crossmember slides back and forth after you cut the tach welds, we don't have that luxury. The mounting points are different between fox T5's and Tremecs.

FWIW I have a fox T5 in my car right now and my crossmember is elongated and I have that plate. Zero fitment issues!

Put it this way, even fox guys have to modify their tranny crossmember to install a Tremec 3550/TKO tranny. Their crossmember slides back and forth after you cut the tach welds, we don't have that luxury. The mounting points are different between fox T5's and Tremecs.

FWIW I have a fox T5 in my car right now and my crossmember is elongated and I have that plate. Zero fitment issues!

What exactly do you mean by elongated? Are you talking about elongating the bolt holes in the crossmemer itself? I've already done that...had to when I put the TKO in. From what I can remember, the difference in FOX T-5's and SN-95 T-5's is either 1/2" or an 1" of input shaft length, so I can see the mount being around an inch offline, but mine is WAYYY off. I'll get some pictures sometime soon. :shrug:

so when you set the tranny down, the mount studs are too far forward (toward the front of the car) of the crossmember? If that's the case, then the plate will allow everything to line up because it will put the mount right on top of the crossmember. It's exactly the way mine is set up, and it's fresh in my memory because I just swapped out my 3550 for a T5.

Hey guys! I'm thinking of doing this swap as well. I can get a kit with all those parts you mentioned. Currently i'm running an auto and was wondering if anyone knew if the stock ECU has to be changed as well for the manual? and is there any kind of tranny harness invovled? Thanks

You can convert your auto harness to work. There's some wires you'll have to jump and then you'll have to find a plug to go on your backup light switch on the trans. When you do it, if you do it.. I can help you with that. Or you can try to find a T5 harness from a 94-98 V8 or V6. The 96 up harnesses will work just fine, they just have 2 extra plugs for O2 sensors that aren't on our cars...

And NO NO NO! The computer will not work! You need a 5 speed computer. The numbers are T4MO.

I tried, going against info I was given here and Corral, to use the auto computer and it drove like pure crap! It was pulling timing during shifts it THOUGHT it was making in an AODE that WASN'T there anymore. So it would cutout in the middle of acceleration.. not fun..

Hey guys! I'm thinking of doing this swap as well. I can get a kit with all those parts you mentioned. Currently i'm running an auto and was wondering if anyone knew if the stock ECU has to be changed as well for the manual? and is there any kind of tranny harness invovled? Thanks
as was said already, you can use the auto eec and the car will run. it just wont run right. the only way to make the auto eec function properly is with a tuning device like a tweecer or custom chip that has the functions of the automatic transmission disabled.

ok thanks. i've already got a custom chip so maybe i can just have it retuned for the new tranny. And i guess for the wiring it's just a bit of messing around so that lights and such will work. So if i get the whole tranny with bellhousing and clutch fork, I may be all set to go depending on whether or not i need the spacer.

i put a 95 gt trans in my sisters 89 and i just changd the input shaft from one to the other. i think as long as its a 90 or newer because it has the alloy gears the same as the 94-95's. i actually rebuilt my 95 tranny with gears from a 93 gt supposedly a world class t-5. anyway it seems easier to do that than change the bell and all that stuff. just check if you have both out and they should be mostly alike, you may have to re-shim it, which is no problem. hope this helps.