uuuuuuuugggggghhhhh! hazards work but turn signals dont? WTF?

carbed87

Jun 5, 2005
this isnt the first time it's happened, the first time was around mid July or so. all the sudden my turn signals didnt work, no sound, dash indicators... no nothing.
my boss pulled like two fuses until he just hit it, and they started working again.

now the same thing happened when i was getting off the highway going home from work.

i get hazards fine, just no turn signals.:shrug:
i just replaced my bulbs around 24hrs ago, and they worked fine then, i dont even know if that has anything to do with it, but what the hell
anyways,
any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

For some reason, the "Engineers" thought it would be a "good" idea to place the turn signal flasher above the steering column. Mine was impossible to find, took it to a shop, cost me 60.00 for a dip**** location. Most are above the column or very near it where you can barely get your hand in there...

(sorry for the rant)

Jim

I had a similar problem and it was my ignition switch...they're like $15 at autozone and easy to replace. I say pull the column cover off and check that before you go very in depth. You could have someone stand outside the car and watch as you wiggle wires to see if that helps.

If they are not blinking , you need to replace the flasher. It is usually (ha ha) found somewhere under the radio on a 90 (that's where mine is). It's a small cylinder with 2 male spade connectors at a right angle to each other. You can look at the one in your fuse panel for the hazaed flashers. It looks the same.

and what do i do once i get to the flasher again... just pull it out and put it back in or buy a new one or what

i don't mean to be pushy...at all
im just sick of $hit going wrong on my car...still have to find out whats going on with the valve train...damnit

do what you want, but did you read my above post? I'm sure it could potentially be the blinker switch, but I had the SAME THING happen and my IGNITION SWITCH was at fault. Have you checked the ignition switch? Wiggle the wires and see if it makes a difference before you go behind the dash and all that mess...just my suggestion, but like I said, do what you want.

Not trying to be a dick, just don't wanna say "I told you so" if it ends up being the ignition switch. What part did your boss hit?

just the fuse panel under next to the driver's kick panel.
i am definetly going to try the ignition switch first, but im slightly confused about what it looks like and what not
its not the cylinder you put the key into is it?
if not, is it hard to get to?
what EXACTLY does it look like?
these may sound like noob questions, but im just trying to pin-point this $hit.
oh yeah, and is the flasher straight up behind the dash, or can i just remove my radio and/or console to get to it?...looks just like the hazard relay right?

ugh...sorry again, i just need to get this figured out so i can move on to bigger problems like my valvetrain. but thats another thread all in it's own

if you take the column cover off (top and bottom parts), the ignition switch has a little thing that moves back and forth when the key is turned, but it's not the actual key lock cyclinder that I'm talking about. Here's a pic from 50resto.com of the ignition switch, it's a pic from the bottom, but should give you an idea; I think the ignition switch is held on by torqx head bolts, but I can't remember exactly.

11572a.jpg