V6 exhaust - gt exhaust

omarV6

Nov 12, 2009
Los Angeles
i want to know if anyone here knows a good place where i can find some really cheap gt exhaust take-offs..i want to do a dual conv on my v6 cause i like the throatier sound of a v8...

oh and does it really make a huge diff? even if i just add the 1 of the gt muffs?

• Sponsors (?)

The only way to really get the throaty sound of the GT is by having a V8. Dual exhaust can add a more aggressive sound to your V6 (or a really crappy sound if you buy bad mufflers), but it won't have the throaty sound you are hoping for.

I really liked the sound of Dual GT Takeoff Mufflers. Did it with a Bassani X-Pipe where the Y used to be. I just recently got some SLP Loudmouths cause i wanted to hear them a little more but the GT mufflers are almost perfect for everyday use and sound. Probably why they put them on the GT in the first place. :D I got mine from eBay too, if you were wondering.

so ima go with the gt muffs for now.....

but is an x-pipe the way to go?

an X-pipe will be a little raspier than an H. If you can find a H-pipe take-off from a GT w/the GT mufflers, you'll have a nice sounding set-up. Or you can buy the Pypes conversion. I found a kit on E-Bay that was a heck of a deal but it is an X-pipe. Sot I'm going to swap in the stock H-pipe out of the GT into the V6 and vice versa. Make sure you get the GT mufflers from a manual trans car. The automatic and convertible mufflers are quieter.

Make sure you get the GT mufflers from a manual trans car. The automatic and convertible mufflers are quieter.

serious?? My exhaust note seems pretty good on my vert - weird to think Ford would put out the money for 2 types of mufflers on the s197 platform (excluding the 500 and bullitt for the smart a$$es). I dunno, I call bull$hit :p

I got my gt takeoffs off of ebay for a total of $50 (including shipping)

Got a great deal and had them installed at a custom exhaust shop on my stock (for now) 6er using an H pipe and absolutely love the sound. WAY better than the single stock muffler, I was honestly surprised how good it sounded. Great mod for the money.

serious?? My exhaust note seems pretty good on my vert - weird to think Ford would put out the money for 2 types of mufflers on the s197 platform (excluding the 500 and bullitt for the smart a$$es). I dunno, I call bull$hit :p

compare them sometime. Look in from the exhaust tip on an automatic and a manual muffler.You'll see the difference.

Ford doesn't make mufflers, they go to the lowest bidder after Ford specs out the part. It's just as easy to make different styles as it is to make 1 for a muffler producing company. Ford has; manual, automatic/vert, Bullitt, GT500 and then all the FRPP products. And that's just for the S197.

I wouldn't lie to ya's. Check it out, see for yourself. The interior baffle tube is smaller in the auto/vert muffler.

What he said ^^^^ :nice:

and again, what he said too.

To my ears, the best sounding exhaust on the 4.0 V6 is a true dual conversion and GT manual take offs. A nice deep rumble at idle and enough muffler to kill some of the bad tones. But, you may like something totally different, which is cool. It's all about personalizing your car to suit yourself.

BUT, the GT take offs are cheap, so if you don't like the sound, you're out a few bucks only. I see lots of GT take offs on craigslist, anywhere from $40 on up. But my guess is a $20 offer would buy a set. Don't bother with e-baying them, the shipping will kill ya.

an X-pipe will be a little raspier than an H. If you can find a H-pipe take-off from a GT w/the GT mufflers, you'll have a nice sounding set-up. Or you can buy the Pypes conversion. I found a kit on E-Bay that was a heck of a deal but it is an X-pipe. Sot I'm going to swap in the stock H-pipe out of the GT into the V6 and vice versa. Make sure you get the GT mufflers from a manual trans car. The automatic and convertible mufflers are quieter.

yup! thanks...i just got them as a gift from my sister for xmas...she told me theyre from her bf's-bro's 2008 gt..manual trans too :) and they were free..lol..

and again, what he said too.

To my ears, the best sounding exhaust on the 4.0 V6 is a true dual conversion and GT manual take offs. A nice deep rumble at idle and enough muffler to kill some of the bad tones. But, you may like something totally different, which is cool. It's all about personalizing your car to suit yourself.

BUT, the GT take offs are cheap, so if you don't like the sound, you're out a few bucks only. I see lots of GT take offs on craigslist, anywhere from $40 on up. But my guess is a $20 offer would buy a set. Don't bother with e-baying them, the shipping will kill ya.

alright...i made a new thread..but ill delete it...sorry...
i have a question though...what do i ask the guys at the muff shop? i want a true dual conversion....

i dont know which is best..or cheaper in my case..an H or X

alright...i made a new thread..but ill delete it...sorry...
i have a question though...what do i ask the guys at the muff shop? i want a true dual conversion....

i dont know which is best..or cheaper in my case..an H or X

I don't think one is cheaper than the other. Not exactly sure but I would be surprised if they were differently priced.

Choosing an H or X is really a matter of personal preference. Some people love the X, some the H. I love the sound of my H pipe and would recommend it. I would go on youtube and check out different setups and find one you like. And from what I've read, most people think that the H give the car a "throatier" sound but the bottom line is it's your choice. Good luck