V6 to 4.6 L Info?? Ideas?? L@@K!!

Those are all great ideas, however I just had another thought that I would like to run by you guys. What would you think if I were to buy a '94-'98 GT and just mod the living sh~t out of it. I mean, if we're already talking about over $20K for this project, I could easily pick up an older GT for about $10K and then spend the rest of the money on mods. Hows that for an idea? If you guys were to attempt a project like this, what mods would you do to the car? ( C'mon, I know you guys have some creative ideas i.e.- forced induction, wheels, tires, body mods, rotating assembly, bolt-ons, etc. Go wild, you don't even have to foot the bill, and I'm always interested in hearing how someone else would do it!!) :D

• Sponsors (?)

you can get an 01 cobra motor and tranny(computer wireharness etc) for i think it is 5 k from ford racing... buy a 5 spd (96-98) GT with a 4.6 that has high milage for cheap.. i would go this route, because youre getting a brand new motor and tranny.. for cheap along with the computer you need etc, and its a 32v like you want :)

if i had 10k to drop on my 96 (i already have mods, but assuming it was stock) it would go like this assuming you are stuck on a 32v motor...

that motor
add 2k for forged pistons/rods and a nitrous kit...
tires(read drag radials lol)
gears (4.30)
exaust(lontubes / or x)
tune from t&j (yes i know its modularpowerhouse now lol)
better clutch
springs/shocks
nitrous cams
you should be at/under the 20k mark.. and this thing would haul ass :nice:, look good and be reliable.

now if you are willing to stay with a 2v motor, wich IMO would be the better idea.. for the same amount of money in an early 4.6 car(96-98)

forged shortblock
PI heads\intake(can be had for less than 500 bones if you look around)
novi 2000 kit from T&J(comes with tune/fuel already)
blower cams
springs/shocks
gears/tires
clutch
exaust
ad an intercooler and smaller pully if you really want to get nuts :D

keep the stock rims sleepers = :nice:
id say stick with the 2v, T&J are making some sick sick cars with the little 2v... i dont REALLY see the point in going to a 4v when the 2v works just fine.. it starts off with less hp, but if you are planning on building it up anyways... who cares what it starts with, its how it ends up.

BigBird383 said:
What would you think if I were to buy a '94-'98 GT and just mod the living sh~t out of it

In that case, get a 96-98 Cobra. They can be had for UNDER $10K nowadays and you already start off with a 4V :nice:

BigBird383 said:
One more option to toss into the mix. How about buying a V6 99-04 'Stang, modify it cosmetically as much as I want, then drop in a carburated stroker. Just a thought.

Then you'd basically need to strip the ENTIRE car and build from the ground up. Might as well buy a race body or junk yard car for something like that.

Yeah, that sounds possibly a little bit easier than anything I had been thinking about. And by a little of course I mean a lot.
How much performance potential do the 16V engines really have? For example, if I were to get a later model GT running a blower at about 8psi and all the bolt ons, how much would that be worth in terms of horsepower? If that wouldn't get me anywhere close to 500hp, than I need to be thinking about something else. My current car is pushing about 425rwhp NA, which is a lot but I'm getting kinda greedy. I need a little bit more. Is there anyone out there around the 500 rwhp mark running a 16V 4.6L? Also, about that 5.4L idea, what would I need to start off with? V6? GT? Cobra?? Has anyone done that before so I could read a little bit about it? If I were to do a 5.4L swap, than I would definitely make it a Cobra R replica. How cool would that be!

at 8 psi(novi2000 kit, wich can flow MUCH more than that ) on the stock bottom end, with a stock motor otherwise, a friend of mines 2000 GT is running 390 rwhp... add a forged bottom end that can take more boost and cams\intercooler.. you should hit 700 with no real trouble.. find cobra killer on the boards.. or maybe he can pop in here to talk to ya.. he is from www.modularpowerhouse.com the beauty of their kits is with the steeda tune, my buds car drives just as nice as it did stock.. until you hit the loud pedal... its a thing of beauty :drool:

i belive his car is over 800 rwhp now, but dont quote me on that.. i'll go do some digging and drop a link in here if i can, since i'm bored.

:nice:

BigBird383 said:
Yeah, that sounds possibly a little bit easier than anything I had been thinking about. And by a little of course I mean a lot.
How much performance potential do the 16V engines really have? For example, if I were to get a later model GT running a blower at about 8psi and all the bolt ons, how much would that be worth in terms of horsepower? If that wouldn't get me anywhere close to 500hp, than I need to be thinking about something else. My current car is pushing about 425rwhp NA, which is a lot but I'm getting kinda greedy. I need a little bit more. Is there anyone out there around the 500 rwhp mark running a 16V 4.6L? Also, about that 5.4L idea, what would I need to start off with? V6? GT? Cobra?? Has anyone done that before so I could read a little bit about it? If I were to do a 5.4L swap, than I would definitely make it a Cobra R replica. How cool would that be!

The potential for the 2V GT motor is pretty awesome. It is a great platform to build on. A blower @ 8psi w/ bolt-ons should get you around 400-425rwhp on stock internals. If you forge the motor you could see as high as 700-800rwhp.

The 5.4L would be best off starting from a V8 car such as an older GT. You can get a 5.4L DOHC 4V Navi motors fairly easily these days. KarKraft has a few used ones going for under $3K used. We all know what other mustang shares the 5.4L 4V :drool: :drool: The potential for the 5.4 is significantly higher than the 4.6, obviously. Those motors make xrazy torque too. Theres a guy over on www.corral.net who just completed a 5.4L 4V swap WITH nitrous! The thing is beyond words. Im not sure what his name is but you could do a search for "5.4L DOHC swap" or something along those lines. Whether its a 5.4L 2V or 4V, it should be a fairly easy swap if you start out with an older V8 car.

-OR- you could go for the gold and swap in the a V10!! :hail2:

There are many options for you to choose from, you just have decide which one appeals to you more. :nice:

Wow, you guys are putting so many crazy ideas in my head!! If you have any links to any of the stuff you were talking about, that would be great. Also, if you know of any links to random mustang setups that are just off the wall, you should post 'em so I can check them out. I'm pretty much open to anything right now. I just can't wait to make a decision and start on a project!!

this is deadlurkers car, he can be found on www.modularfords.com

501 rwhp... now keep in mind the car has stock unported heads, stock manifolds, and a catted midpipe.. and its running on pump gas(i think its 87 octane, but i could be wrong :shrug: )... so there is definately alot of power to be had if he wants to start changing things.

M.P.H Built Motor with VT Blower Cams
Vortech SQ with 2.9 RR Pulley
Paxton A/A Intercooler
Vortech Mini Race Bypass
Steeda Powerpipe
Bassani X - pipe (w/cats)
Bassani Quiet Thunder Catback
Dragon Plenum
Accufab T/B
M.P.H reflash by Tim Barth

GI Goe's car is running 598rwhp/547rwtq with a KB 2.2
he was making 650 rwhp when he had the novi2000

cobra killers sig says 700 + rwhp... but i think he likes to keep secrets lol..

the 4.6 2v absolutely loves forced induction, these are just a few examples of how nuts these things can be with a hair dryer attached ;)

Pitch Black said:
Where'd you hear that from?? You can use the stock hood.
Sorry, I was remebering MM&FF's "Project Frightning", but it was a Lightning engine, topped with an Eaton. Still though, the 5.4 does sit considerably tall in the saddle. It's really apparent in a Fox, but even an SN-95 needs a bigger hood. You didn't think that the bulge in the Cobra R hood was just for show, did you?

There was an article in, I believe, that same magazine not too long ago about a guy who swapped the SOHC 5.4 into his 02 GT when he blew his 4.6L (the bad "blow") and techs were tuning it. He still had the stock hood on it in the article :shrug:

V10 swap would be sweet but the only V10 ford is sellin is the one in the trucks, the one that put in the mustang and the concept cobra are pretty much one off motors at the moment, but they use the same internals as the 4.6.
Does any make mod motor swap kits for fox bodies? I've already got a 4inch hood on my 92, and I work for Eaton, even though it's the Hose Division, but I think I could buy a supercharger straight from the factory at a discount, hadn't checked on it yet. but I figure that 5.0 will get tired at some point, and it's got 180 on the clock

You know.....the idea of something like this came acrossed my mind. Still something I'm considering, but really don't know. If I end up keeping my V6 (along with another car) I always thought about stripping her down and turning it into a drag car. 351 V8 or some other V8 motor, full exhaust system, new drive shaft, 8.8" or 9" rear with upgrade axles and gearing, stripped interior, new guages and computer for the V8, C4 tranny since the car is currently an auto. Yeah...we are talking some money for parts put even if I bought a V8, I would be swapping out everything besides the rear and computer to bigger and better parts. My car would basically be a rolling chasis at that point. I've thought about this because if I should so keep the car it's value wont ever get higher, and if I wanted to transform it I already had a donar car all paid off. So if you look at it that way, I don't think a V6 to V8 swap is a bad idea, if you are just wanting a V8 then you should just buy a V8 model. However Saleen took V6 models to put ther S351's in it, so who knows.