V8 dream is dying...

I was at the Ford dealer the other day getting my brakes checked, so to kill time I wandered back to the parts dept to ask about a V8 swap. I know this dealer has done it before. I told the guy my V6 is almost at 100,000; if it goes I want to replace it with a 4.6, and what would be involved in that. The guy acted like I kicked him in the private area. He starts rattling off all the stuff I would need to replace: motor mounts, exhaust, transmission, pollution controls, gearing, electronics, etc. He says even with a remanufactured V8 it would be way too much $$$ to be worthwhile. Basically told me I would be better off selling the V6 and buying a V8 car. Is he right, or just not wanting to do the work? Has anyone actually been through an engine swap? Maybe it could be done much cheaper at another place, not a Ford dealer? If the whole process of buying the engine and parts and having it installed would be over 5 or 6 thousand $, then forget it. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

It's not worth it. It takes alot of time and money do swap engines. If I were you, call up a couple places and ask how much they would charge. Also, if you are going to swap, don't go with the basic mustang V8 engine. Go with something with more power, you might as well.

RED98 said:
The guy acted like I kicked him in the private area. He starts rattling off all the stuff I would need to replace: motor mounts, exhaust, transmission, pollution controls, gearing, electronics, etc. He says even with a remanufactured V8 it would be way too much $$$ to be worthwhile.

Red98,

don't get discouraged b/c of one person rattling off there mouth. I can't stand people who don't take the time to actually EXPLAIN why something should or should not be done (laziness I will asume!!!) Bottom line, YES it will cost money depending on what you want done, what needs to be done, and who is "WILLING" to do it. I would check around with some local mechanic and tell them what you want to do. The key is finding a mechanic who is passionate about their work and it's awesome talking one on one about what you want done with them! I think that alot of people would agree that YES, economically, selling your V6 and buying a GT would be better naturally. However not unless you just love your car and have grown attached to it should you keep it. Another aspect you might want to consider, if you do sell and buy a GT what is to say your not gonna have to replace that V8 as well sooner or later. I have roughly estimated a V6-V8 swap of my own, and it will take about $13k from the engine back to the rearend with a 5.8L or 7.5L mean build up. Though you could buy a GT for about 13k, but i bet you'd wanna put a few $k's of performance mods in it.

I agree with zincyellow03 - "Also, if you are going to swap, don't go with the basic mustang V8 engine."

You'll want something beefier, and If you get a GT you'll still want to beef it up alot!

I don't know why but I get fired up everytime i read the forums for a "V8 swap!" :)

When I swap out my V6 for a 427W or a 460BB, i bet the mechanic i get to do it will S**t a brick and tell me why I shouldn't do it the whole time he's working on it. When he's done and he sends me on my way, he'll be talking about it to everyone saying. . . WHY, if that thing runs up on a Vette it'd kill it!!! :)

Yeah, If I were to swap the engine, I would get something with at least 300 hp.. but, seeing as how it would cost so much time and money, I'm probably just going to forget it. Might as well get the '97 Rio Red Cobra convertible I have always wanted for about the same amount of money. (Maybe a little more for a nice one..) anyway, my V6 is still running good for now, so maybe when I win the lottery I'll swap the engine?? ...and make it all chrome, completely detail the engine compartment.. :drool:

RED98 said:
Yeah, If I were to swap the engine, I would get something with at least 300 hp.. but, seeing as how it would cost so much time and money, I'm probably just going to forget it. Might as well get the '97 Rio Red Cobra convertible I have always wanted for about the same amount of money. (Maybe a little more for a nice one..) anyway, my V6 is still running good for now, so maybe when I win the lottery I'll swap the engine?? ...and make it all chrome, completely detail the engine compartment.. :drool:

I wouldn't give up yet. Try calling a couple people and see how much it's going to cost.

yeah the sad thing is it's be cheaper to sell your car and upgrade insted of piecing NEW parts out.

Sage427 - you better make sure cars like that are not going to used for daily driving (over 5000mi) once a inspection mech looks under that hood you got 10 days to make it stock.

tomustang said:
yeah the sad thing is it's be cheaper to sell your car and upgrade insted of piecing NEW parts out.

Sage427 - you better make sure cars like that are not going to used for daily driving (over 5000mi) once a inspection mech looks under that hood you got 10 days to make it stock.

yeah i'm in a delima, of picking a good street setup that is semi-everyday (2-3 times a week maybe i don't know just a guess) Soon i'll probably post a thread asking for opinions with high rev-street power, b/c i'm going to be leaning toward a top end setup for the interstate. I'm still trying to pick out which cam and intake will be decent.

As for the inspections, all they care about around here is if you got a catalytic converter, lights work, do the hookie pokie. . .etc :)

If your have with another car as a DD, have lots of space, TONS of tools, time, and easy very acess to parts (or an entire car to swap from) I would say go for it, but it would still be a headache.

Though the guy at ford probably did come off like an ass (I have delt with a few myself) he's right. You would be much better off selling you v6 and getting a GT. By the time it's all said and done, I bet you will actually save money this way.

You can get an auto mach 1 engine on E bay for like 3K lol. Buy some motor mounts...im not sure about the tranny, but if its a 4r70W then your probably ok and will handle the power. Your rearend does NOT NEED to be upgraded unless you take it to the track with sticky tires. just go with a nice $1500 stand alone management system and then your all set. You may need to rewire the car (V8 wiring)...but thats nothing too big either. our probably looking at 6K for EVERYTHING parts wise. And you could probably do it your self, as the stand alone would simplify the wiring ALOT. I say go for it....and if you want to know off 1K then get a 99-04 GT motor. i have seen them for $1600. Heck even 05 GT motors are around $2200 I believe.

hotmustang331 said:
You may need to rewire the car (V8 wiring)...but thats nothing too big either. our probably looking at 6K for EVERYTHING parts wise. And you could probably do it your self,

Boy do I wish THAT were true! I would not have the first clue where to begin; guaranteed I would screw it up big-time. Like I said before, my mechanical abilities are non-existent. I'm one of the wusses who's mechanical skill involves driving to the service department and whipping out the plastic. As far as tools.. umm, I have a hammer, and a rachet set from sears.. is that enough for an engine swap? Oh, and there's a couple screwdrivers around here somewhere. The most advanced things I have done to my car mechanically is install a K&N air filter, change my own oil, and one day I was REALLY feeling brave so I popped out some of the interior panels with a screwdriver and spraypainted them red. Just getting them out took me over an hour. So anyway, any engine swap in my car will be done by a shop, not by me.