Vacation

Wolvrin704

Apr 17, 2007
Milford, OH
Took the family on a short weekend vacation. Got a couple of stories, one good and one bad. I live in Cincinnati and we decided to go to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, it was really cool.

That brings me to story #1. While down there I found out that we were close to Bowling Green. For those who don't know there is a GM plant there where they build........Corvettes. Right across the street is a Corvette museum. Being a car guy I had to go. It was really cool, all the cars are there on loan. They had reps from most every era along with engines, trannies and frames to look at. They also had several Pace cars, ZR1's and a new Z06. They even had a Corvette nursery where they display new Vettes about to be delivered to their owners. Unfortunately I don't have pics yet, had to buy a 35mm disposable camera since the digital camera ran outta juice at Mammoth cave since the wife left it off the charger the day before our vacation. At any rate it was cool and when I get some pics I'll post them. Probably the only car I wouldn't mind taking in place of a Mustang.

The bad story is that I had decided to drive the Stang instead of the wife's car since it was a short trip. We were within 50 miles of home going up I-75 and I had just gotten in the left hand lane. When the car in front of me hit a huge piece of tire rubber in front of me and sent it spinning at me. I-75 being a very busy interstate I had nowhere to go except the shoulder where there was even more scraps of rubber so I stayed put and hit it hoping for the best.
The best of course ended up badly as insead of sliding out from under the car it hung up for a few seconds before coming free. Thought ok, hope it didn't do to much damage. A few seconds later my wife hears something and I was thinking of pulling over when I saw a cop pull behind me and pull me over. I had been speeding by about 5mph so I figured that was the reason, but the good part of the story was she (yes a female cop) pulled me over because she saw my car dragging what was left of the Mach 1 chin spoiler I had just put on a month ago. So I threw it in the trunk and went on home. The worst was yet to come...
When I got home I took the spoiler out of the trunk, it could be put back on but it has allot of scrape marks. I think I'll just sit on it for now. Went to remove all the screws and saw the piece of plastic that defelcts air, stones or whatever under the radiator was also broken off. Then I went to wash the car and found that the piece of rubber had also hit my driver's side door and took a paint chip out. So not a terrible anount of damage, it could have been worse, but far more than I wanted to see.

Good new is this gives me an opportunity to get a front splitter instead, maybe next year though. :D

BTW, anyone know if there is a Mustang museum anywhere?

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely could of been worse, I've seen tire pieces put football size dents in hoods.

In my coupe, driving down the tollway, someone kicked up a small 2x4 and it hit drivers side on the windshield, scared the crap out of me and left a huge chip in the glass.

Definitely could of been worse, I've seen tire pieces put football size dents in hoods.

In my coupe, driving down the tollway, someone kicked up a small 2x4 and it hit drivers side on the windshield, scared the crap out of me and left a huge chip in the glass.

Oh I agree. A few years ago a buddy of mine was behind a semi with a load of pipes. One came loose and went through the windshield. At the time their oldest was a baby and sitting in the middle of the backseat. So he put himself in front of the pipe to save his daughter. Luckily he didn't get hurt too bad. I'm very thankful it wasn't worse damage, thankful no one got hurt, and lastly thankful that sweet female cop pulled me over. ;)

Took the family on a short weekend vacation. Got a couple of stories, one good and one bad. I live in Cincinnati and we decided to go to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, it was really cool.

That brings me to story #1. While down there I found out that we were close to Bowling Green. For those who don't know there is a GM plant there where they build........Corvettes. Right across the street is a Corvette museum. Being a car guy I had to go. It was really cool, all the cars are there on loan. They had reps from most every era along with engines, trannies and frames to look at. They also had several Pace cars, ZR1's and a new Z06. They even had a Corvette nursery where they display new Vettes about to be delivered to their owners. Unfortunately I don't have pics yet, had to buy a 35mm disposable camera since the digital camera ran outta juice at Mammoth cave since the wife left it off the charger the day before our vacation. At any rate it was cool and when I get some pics I'll post them. Probably the only car I wouldn't mind taking in place of a Mustang.

The bad story is that I had decided to drive the Stang instead of the wife's car since it was a short trip. We were within 50 miles of home going up I-75 and I had just gotten in the left hand lane. When the car in front of me hit a huge piece of tire rubber in front of me and sent it spinning at me. I-75 being a very busy interstate I had nowhere to go except the shoulder where there was even more scraps of rubber so I stayed put and hit it hoping for the best.
The best of course ended up badly as insead of sliding out from under the car it hung up for a few seconds before coming free. Thought ok, hope it didn't do to much damage. A few seconds later my wife hears something and I was thinking of pulling over when I saw a cop pull behind me and pull me over. I had been speeding by about 5mph so I figured that was the reason, but the good part of the story was she (yes a female cop) pulled me over because she saw my car dragging what was left of the Mach 1 chin spoiler I had just put on a month ago. So I threw it in the trunk and went on home. The worst was yet to come...
When I got home I took the spoiler out of the trunk, it could be put back on but it has allot of scrape marks. I think I'll just sit on it for now. Went to remove all the screws and saw the piece of plastic that defelcts air, stones or whatever under the radiator was also broken off. Then I went to wash the car and found that the piece of rubber had also hit my driver's side door and took a paint chip out. So not a terrible anount of damage, it could have been worse, but far more than I wanted to see.

Good new is this gives me an opportunity to get a front splitter instead, maybe next year though. :D

BTW, anyone know if there is a Mustang museum anywhere?

Yes there is a Shelby museum 1/2 block from my office here in Boulder, Colorado

The address is 11851 Market st. Livonia, MI 48150.

The street has Roush buildings all the way down it, but the museum is the first on the left.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]