vacuum leak/rough idle

Jaffman088

Sep 28, 2010
Soo...I was talking to a friend of my dads and by the way my car was idling he said that there was a vacuum leak and that could be leading to my poor gas mileage on the highway. So i got the vacuum leak checked out and apparently an EGR hose was cracked and needed replaces. So I was also told injector 2 on the second side, aka injector number 4 (i'm assuming) was leaking due to a bad o-ring (by a mechanic). So my injectors were lookin pretty rusty. I decided to replace them all with the help of my buddy since taking everything out just to replace an o-ring, might as well just replace the whole damn injectors. While replacing the injectors and unplugging everything, there were two apparently brittle plastic hoses, one red one green, going to what I was told was the EGR. They appeared to be vacuum lines. I replaced the injectors and went to a nearby napa store to buy rubber hoses to temporarily fix my problem. While doing so on the highway my check engine light comes on every so often miles for about 30 seconds and goes off, unless I slow down for an interchange it stays on until back up to speed. My car, yet again now idle rough. Also, in lower RPMs the engine just seems to bog down and not accelerate well. Does anyone possibly know what my problem is and how to actually fix it correctly and make things kosher?

• Sponsors (?)

It could be many things. Since the car's operating conditions are controlled by the computer you really need to know what trouble codes are being recorded by the computer. To get those codes you need an OBD1 code reader such as this one Amazon.com: Equus 3145 Ford Digital Code Reader: Automotive. Once you have the these codes you will have a greater chance of being able to narrow down the search to fix whatever is causing the problem.

went home this weekend. Got a shop to check out the codes. EGR wasn't opening up. Apparently when I tried to fix the plastic tubing I forgot to put it back in the heat resistant cover, and it just melted to the engine. Got it fixed up again, and it has been running pretty well since.