valve cover gaskets

jayboy

Sep 27, 2011
Just replaced the heads on my 5.0, fun job. The Fel-Pro gasket set that I got contained cork gaskets for the valve covers. OEM were some really nice metal ones. I had no leaking problems before, can I re-use the metal gaskets or should I just go with the new cork ones. I hear that the cork ones are not as durable.

• Sponsors (?)

Just replaced the heads on my 5.0, fun job. The Fel-Pro gasket set that I got contained cork gaskets for the valve covers. OEM were some really nice metal ones. I had no leaking problems before, can I re-use the metal gaskets or should I just go with the new cork ones. I hear that the cork ones are not as durable.

I've reused my metal valve cover gaskets before. I use a little bit of black O2 sensor friendly RTV to help seal them as well.

honestly, if it were me, I'd try to find new metal ones somewhere or reuse the old ones with RTV if they're still in good condition. If they're trashed and you can't find metal ones, then I'd just use the fel-pro gaskets.

But if not using metal, I prefer a rubber gasket on my '65 200. I've taken that thing on and off at least a dozen times and it still works great, no tearing like a cork gasket.

You have a few options. I would avoid the cork ones. It depends on the heads. Some aftermarket aluminum heads will not work with the metal gaskets because the lip on the head is not wide enough. Felpro sells replacement metal valve cover gaskets for about $26 each. You can also get rubber gaskets from Felpro, the part number is VS 13264r. They are designed for a stamped valve cover, but if you cut the little tabbies off they will work for a cast cover. Just ask the parts guy to look up gaskets for like an 85' 302.

Kurt

Oh, and unless you are using the cork gaskets I wouldn't use any RTV. It should seal fine without it, and it just makes a bigger mess to clean up later.

Kurt