Valve Spring Tool

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I'm removing a set of valve springs from one set of heads to install on another set of heads. This is the first set of non dual over head cam heads I am doing this on. So my home made tool I normally use will not work.

A bit of Googling turned up all kinds of tools. What's most often used for GT40 type heads and similar? Im looking for something inexpensive as I don't think I'll be using it very often. Maybe something like this?

Amazon product ASIN B000P0ZJISView: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-36200-Keeper-Remover-Installer/dp/B000P0ZJIS?ie=UTF8&keywords=valve%20spring%20tool&qid=1461532751&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

• Sponsors (?)

I've used a socket and hammer to disassemble old springs, but I'd be a little nervous using that thing on good heads and valves. I have always used the big C clamp lever style spring compressors... The lisle tool may work great.. but I think I'll stick with what I know.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow - I just looked at tool prices - the C clamp style spring compressor tool I paid $15-$20 for 40 years ago now sells for 3-4 times as much. Good tools are an investment; take good care of them. Keep them clean and shiny and you can sell them for 3 times what you paid for them.

Check around at the local auto parts chain stores like AutoZone,
O 'Riley's, Advance Auto Parts. Most of the will rent or loan tools if you have a credit card or leave a cash deposit.

Wow - I just looked at tool prices - the C clamp style spring compressor tool I paid $15-$20 for 40 years ago now sells for 3-4 times as much. Good tools are an investment; take good care of them. Keep them clean and shiny and you can sell them for 3 times what you paid for them.

Check around at the local auto parts chain stores like AutoZone,
O 'Riley's, Advance Auto Parts. Most of the will rent or loan tools if you have a credit card or leave a cash deposit.

I could be wrong Mr. Richker, but I can't think of anything that sold 40 years ago that's not close to 3-4 times more now. Or more! Have you priced 3/4 ton pickups lately? Good grief, about gave me a heart attack...

Reactions: 1 users
What tool is this? I have an O'Reilly close by.
image.jpeg

That is a good one too, but it's been my experience it doesn't work too well with double valve springs, as it compresses the outer coil, but not the inner. Single springs, darn good tool.

Edit: unless I'm missing something... My batting average isn't so hot lately, lol.

So..... I'm still at a loss on which one to purchase.

I wouldn't mind buying a used American made tool when they were built to last. In fact, I would prefer this.

So..... I'm still at a loss on which one to purchase.

I wouldn't mind buying a used American made tool when they were built to last. In fact, I would prefer this.

Like I said in my first post, get a c clamp style. They look like this:
image.png

Lots of places sell them, and with dual springs, that's pretty much your only choice. As far as locating where to buy one, google is your friend.