Valve Springs Question From Those Who Know

90lxwhite

I'm kind of a She-Man
5 Year Member
Aug 25, 2011
Between the Red and Rio
Can a guy transfer springs from e7's to say eddy e street? I have some pretty fresh beehives on my e7 they are on the 95 would they swap over the e streets w no modification needed? Would it be cost effective to do so if they would work? Thanks, I'm new to stuff of this nature.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Even if they physically fit, may work for a granny shiftin' mofo but one good romp on it could throw it out. You need to know the cam lift and if the spring can actually handle it.
That's a bad area to take a chance IMO.

Last edited:
If they are fresh springs with low miles I can see them swapping over, buy in all honesty I think you are looking at a short term gain long term loss.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if they physically fit, may work for a granny shiftin' mofo but one good romp on it could throw it out out. You need to know the cam lift and if the spring can actually handle handle it.
That's a bad area to take a chance IMO.
I dont think y'all are getting it... The cam I'm using now will be the cam I'd use w new heads. The springs I'm using now would/will be the springs I'd use on new heads IF THEY WILL "Bolt down" TO NEW HEADS. I know the cam lift 512 on in and on ex .. All I want to do is reuse those springs on a different set if heads. The cam will not change. All I'm wanting and needing to know is can springs used on e7 work on other heads. I'm wanting to take the springs from the e7s (that work w the cam) and maybe put them on a set of eddy e streets. Now my question is are springs inner changeable from head to head or is there say an e7 spring, a tfs type spring, eddlebrock, etc etc?? If I'm thinking correctly the only reason the e streets can't be used or not recommended to be used w roller cams is due to crappy springs.

Also don't skimp on valvetrain. Cheap insurance,high end stability,more power. You can run the e streets factory springs with that cam btw. They are good to somewhere around .540 lift if I remember right

Check out Crane's website, or Comp Cams. There are a lot of little things to think about with springs (I have been researching for my RHS heads and new cam). The spring has to fit securely in the valve spring pocket. There are acceptable clearances here. The springs have to be installed at a certain height to maintain correct spring pressures. This can mean using shims and a specific retainer. The retainers also have clearances regarding how their bottom sides fit into the springs. Retainers for the E7 heads will most likely not fit the Eddy's because of valve size (ex: 11/32 valves vs. 8mm valves/example only).

Now, I am still figuring this stuff out myself, so I can't give you all the definite answers. But there is more to it then swapping them over. Do some research and checkout some of the tutorials on the websites above. You will probably be able to figure out what you need.

Good luck with it.

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
Check out Crane's website, or Comp Cams. There are a lot of little things to think about with springs (I have been researching for my RHS heads and new cam). The spring has to fit securely in the valve spring pocket. There are acceptable clearances here. The springs have to be installed at a certain height to maintain correct spring pressures. This can mean using shims and a specific retainer. The retainers also have clearances regarding how their bottom sides fit into the springs. Retainers for the E7 heads will most likely not fit the Eddy's because of valve size (ex: 11/32 valves vs. 8mm valves/example only).

Now, I am still figuring this stuff out myself, so I can't give you all the definite answers. But there is more to it then swapping them over. Do some research and checkout some of the tutorials on the websites above. You will probably be able to figure out what you need.

Good luck with it.

Joe
Will do, I'm using a comp cam myself.
Also don't skimp on valvetrain. Cheap insurance,high end stability,more power. You can run the e streets factory springs with that cam btw. They are good to somewhere around .540 lift if I remember right
the tech guy from eddlelbrock said no roller came w e street. I think originally they were marketed for "modern" budget minded mustang drivers but I believe they were getting complaints bout valvetrain. So I guess the savings came from crap springs. So anywho now they say they are for flat tappet cams only. More than likely if I get heads I'll prob go another route vs swapping over my e7 beehives. But we shall see

the tech guy from eddlelbrock said no roller came w e street. I think originally they were marketed for "modern" budget minded mustang drivers but I believe they were getting complaints bout valvetrain. So I guess the savings came from crap springs. So anywho now they say they are for flat tappet cams only. More than likely if I get heads I'll prob go another route vs swapping over my e7 beehives. But we shall see

I tell ya, the more and more I look into this topic, the more reason I see to build your own heads. A custom cam and spring kit from Ed runs about $790. At that price point, it becomes somewhat reasonable to build your own heads if you can get them cheap enough bare. No reason to pay for springs and retainers twice. This route may not be for everyone, but for the guy trying to really get the most out of his combo, this may be the way to go.

If I do go with the comp cam, I will be able to use my current springs. But if I go with Ed's cam, I know he will most likely want me to run his springs, which mean mine get scrapped. For me, decisions always come down to the dollar value. Still in debate on this one.

Joe

Well learned something new. :) If I were you I'd just spend a little more and buy better heads then. Lol. Or go the gt40 route