Valvetrain/pushrod set-up

RIO5.0

15 Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
N.H.
So the guys who's gonna degree my cam ups up being a dink about doing the job...so I say screw it and take the motor back home I'll order what I need and do it myself.
First I need to verify the correct PR lenght as I have a new cam. Previously the motor ran an F cam with 6.400 PR's. I start with an adj pushrod and can't seem to get nowhere...every thing I do say's the PRs are to short??? this is whether I add .100 or take away .100 ...WTF!!! Since I'm new to doing this I check it 20 times over and get nowhere but confused!!!
Finally during some research on setting up valvetrains I come across something concerning ProComp RR's and that no way will you get the geometry correct using them...Hmmm... these seem like no name rockers to me....maybe I have those?? seems Crane also made some Energizers that will fit both Chevy & Ford motors...the Chevy will come in dead nuts but the Ford set-up will come up short...hmmm... I'm guessing the one I have aren't Cranes just by the quality.
Finally I say screw this and order up some Scorpions from Summit as it makes no sense to be this wack on the pattern. I put these on with the 6.400 PRs and bam...pattern comes right in. so the moral off this post is dont use cheese parts...:D Actually the rockers came on my heads so I figured why not try them...wrong !!!

Check out the pics and the geometry. I'm thinking 6.400 works for set-up?? But I have yet to fine tune for a thinner line. At this lenght PV is not an issue as it's over .180 on both. now I can go forward with degreeing the cam.. although PV needs to be re-checked after. I was curious and checked it soon as I could hoping that wasn't gonna be an issue.

008_1_1_1.jpg

009_1_2-1.jpg

010_1_3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Whatever you're doing with the Scorpion rocker looks dead on. I would stick with that length pushrod. Don't get obscessed with degreeing the cam. It's going to make the same power either way, just at a slightly different RPM.

Kurt

Yes its a new billet one from Summit and 9 key to adjust. From the looks of the card its got 4 deg built into it anyway so I was thinking it be best to put it at 108.

Most of them are 9 key adjustment. That being said, 108 is usually a good centerline. Put it at 107 if you really wants some top rpm ballsy power. When I pick up my custom cam on monday, I'll be shoving it in the motor as is. Whatever it is, it is.

Kurt