Valvetrain questions Please look

mytight95

Apr 11, 2003
Dothan,Al
Saturday morning i was gonna check ptv clearance on my motor with the new heads etc. since i am not positively sure of the amount of milling and the 1.94 intake and 1.60 valves versus my stock heads and valves.

Enter the problem. The valve in my new heads seems to be shorted, i measured from valve seat on the head, to the top of the valve on both and the valves in the new heads seem to be shorter by .250 . I am just curious on my options, i know i could have to buy longer valves. I have also been told i can do a rocker arm conversion, from pedestal to stud mount etc. I am curious as to which is better, and also which is more pricey, I am leaning toward buying new valves because i would like to keep the pedestal mount rockers{(my opinion is that they are better(but if i am wrong tell me) and will last longer and with less likelyhood of coming out of adjustment etc.)} I will attach pics to show what is happening-basically the rocker arm itself is hitting the valve spring retainer before the roller part of the rocker arm hits the valve stem.

pics below someone help please, i am not the best tecky(sp?)

so my solutions so far seem to be, conversion kit for the Rocker arms, or to change the valves?????????????????????????????????????????

000_0493.jpg

000_0492.jpg

000_0480.jpg

000_0481.jpg

000_0484.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Are these rockers from Crane? I had the same problem when I put in Crane valve springs and my Crane pedestal 1.7 ratio rockers. So, I called the Crane tech line and they said that their rockers are made with extra material that can be ground-down to keep the lower part of the rocker from hitting the spring retainer. You definitely don't want to run them with the rocker touching the retainer or this will cause the keepers to fall out and let the valve come down into the cylinder---causing BAD things to happen (when the piston smacks the valve). You could use a regular grinder or a Dremel to take off enough material to get the roller to ride on the valve stem. I hope this helps you out.