Valvetrain Upgrade

Hey guys, I'm lookin' at putting in a few new pieces into the motor to beef up the valvetrain a bit. I'm looking at putting in new pushrods and 515 lift conical springs (care of Redlined Performance). Wondering if you guys know what kind of changes my motor will have with these installed, whether it be more HP, though not likely, or the motor just seeming to run a little different. Whatever you guys know, I'm all ears, give me all the info. you got on this valvetrain stuff, just tryin' to learn a bit.

• Sponsors (?)

Might as well get a custom cam while you're at it. Then you'll see some performance gains due to better air flow.

Then heads.

Then upper/lower intake.

Then TB.

Then SC or TC.

Then NO2.

Then solid rocket boosters.

You're talking about just pushrods and springs? You probably won't notice anything whatsoever. I'm not sure what the spring pressure difference is between stockers and RPMs 515s (although Mik would know), but even if there's a sizeable difference, you won't feel it, and it won't get you any more than 1hp.

Beefing up the valvetrain for no reason other than 'because' is pretty silly. Engine building is all about MATCHING. Not 'beefing up', but getting the RIGHT parts for eachother. The stock valvetrain is suited to the stock cam just fine. If you want a bigger cam, THEN it's time to upgrade the valvetrain to match.

A cam is only 150 bucks. My suggestion would be to wait till you can do both at the same time. If you have no interest in a cam, then forget the valvetrain stuff too.

[QUOTE='03 6-Speed]Do you guys know if there will be any adverse affects on my motor if I do put in a new cam, rockers, rods, and springs? Do you also think I will need any other components to increase my valvetrain life after all these parts?[/QUOTE]
Nope, the components you mentioned would be sufficient, and nothing else would be necessary in terms of preventing premature wear or damage. Assuming of course you install it all properly.

A good tune will be necessary to extract the most performance from that setup. Would probably help out in the engine life department too.

EDIT: New rockers aren't necessary to support the rest of that hardware. Roller rockers are nice, but the stock ones will do with a mild cam just fine. If you want to save 300 bucks, you can skip out on those. New pushrods and springs will be necessary with a bigger cam, though.