Vehicle Speed Sensor on 87 GT?

66Resto91

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 26, 2004
Hi,

I'm chasing a strange problem on my '87 GT. It has an inconsistent problem with surging idle, but it gets better. Driving down the road, when I push in the clutch to downshift or come to a stop, the RPM temporarily drops to around 600 rpm. Then, it's like the computer catches itself, and the idle surges back up for a split second, then it settles down idling around 800 rpm like it should.

When I got the car, a lot of stuff had been modified on it. The car didn't have a vehicle speed sensor, and I'm not sure it ever did when it was new. However, I recently looked at an '88 5.0/5-speed motor and transmission, and this one did have the speed sensor.

It really seems like something isn't telling the computer to sense a deceleration condition, and most times, this would be accounted for by the VSS. Could my car (December '86 build date) have had a speed sensor when it was new?

• Sponsors (?)

The VSS is basically only there for the cruise control. If you don't have cruise, then it was not equipped with the VSS. My 87 does not have it. But later in the Fox years, like 89 or so, Ford put the VSS on all cars. As far as if it is tied into the main computer, I'm not sure but I don't think so.

If your '87 is still a speed density system, the VSS is not used for idle control. If it was converted to MAF, the EEC does use it for idle control and will cause a surging idle and possible stalls when coming to a stop. Do go over the self test routines to check what could be causing that problem. LUK

If your '87 is still a speed density system, the VSS is not used for idle control. If it was converted to MAF, the EEC does use it for idle control and will cause a surging idle and possible stalls when coming to a stop.

So if that is true, then anyone that has converted their non cruise control equipped 87 or 88 to MAF might have the same problem? Interesting info to know! I'll look at my wiring diagrams and see what I can find.

Thanks!

So if that is true, then anyone that has converted their non cruise control equipped 87 or 88 to MAF might have the same problem? Interesting info to know! I'll look at my wiring diagrams and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Think about it for a sec....... why would Ford add the input from the VSS sensor to the MAF ECM's (pins 3 & 6), if the ECM is not used for cruise control purposes? Is it specified in the GUFB logic for idle control requirements?......
yes.gif

Thanks!
Joel was being concise, here's more info about the function of the VSS in the MAF setups. Basically, it's used to prevent an engine stall during a stop or start with a manual tranny.
http://forums.stangnet.com/772612-mass-air-questions.html#post7758759

From what I remember, once at idle and rest (no TPS or VSS change), the idle is a basic closed loop on the RPMs from the distributor. And, I do mean basic. That's one reason the Fox 5.0's suck at idle. The MAF and Oxygen sensor inputs are used to control the injector's pulse width, and the RPMs are used to control the IAB/IAC. From what I remember from looking at the idle control algorithm for the "A9L-series", it's not even a full PID, nor does it do a lot of (?any at all?) limit checking on change amounts (to prevent surging).

To be fair, if some else thinks they could cram as much functionality (or more) into that little ROM space, then do it and let us have better EEC-IV Fox control algorithms! :)

I'm going through the same thing on one of my consulting gigs. It sucks having very little FLASH space! Every few weeks, it's
Customer: "Can we do this?"
Me:"Not with this amount of FLASH. Want to give something else up? Or, can we spend the extra few dollars for the part with more FLASH?"
Customer: "NO! We're making X units/year. That's $Y/year - a lot of money!"

In Ford's case, figure 1-4 million EEC-IV's per year were made back then. So, a $3 additional cost would mean a loss of $3-10+ million dollars/year in profit.

Sorry for the diatribe, I'm in the middle of compressing working code down so that I can try to add some additional new required functionality. Start with a box that holds 5 lbs. Have a spec that requires 7 lbs of stuff, end up with a spec that requires 9 lbs of stuff. But, you're still stuck with that box that holds 5lbs.

Engineering: Part Science, part magic, part using the biggest *****ing hammer you have to bang stuff to fit. :)

Good info guys! I'll keep it in mind for when I eventually convert my car to MAF (when I rebuild it and fix it up in a few years). Hopefully the info will help the original poster also.

I guess that explains why my cruise control doesn't work--or am I misinterpreting the info so far? All the VSS does on an '87 is control the cruise?

I forgot to mention it, but yes, the car is still speed density. The smog is bypassed, and the EGR is unplugged. As far as troubleshooting the surge, I've done the following: new TPS switch, new MAP sensor, new IAC motor. I've physically checked all of my grounds and all are clean and tight. I've also inspected the wiring harness for breaks or cut insulation, and found nothing.

What's killing me is that the idling problem is never consistent. Sometimes when I start the car, the RPMS immediately go to around 2,000, stay there for a few seconds, and then quickly fall back down. After the rpms drop back off, the car surges a few times, then levels out. From then on, the car will idle correctly until the engine is turned off.

Other times, I crank the car, and it doesn't immediately spike the idle, but the car immediately dies. I have to either re-crank the car and hold the idle up with the gas pedal, or else crank the car several times until it finally decides to idle correctly.

All the VSS does on an '87 is control the cruise?
Correct.

What's killing me is that the idling problem is never consistent. Sometimes when I start the car, the RPMS immediately go to around 2,000, stay there for a few seconds, and then quickly fall back down. After the rpms drop back off, the car surges a few times, then levels out. From then on, the car will idle correctly until the engine is turned off.
Hey, ***** **** ;) That's WHY I got my '86 Stang. :D
SD cars are notorious for SUPER MEGA CRAPPY IDLE!! Yes, turn it off, turn it back on, and it's idles "differently". Not always better, but different. :)

My best friend bought an '86 Stang brand new. He ordered it and I brought him to the dealership to pick it up. It was 100% serviced at the dealership the whole time he had it. Finally, after ~10 years, he couldn't take the POS idle any more. Also, at that age, things were going. And, dealership service isn't cheap. That's when I got the '86 Stang - now my Stang. :)
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/misc/Mustang1986_with_Mach1_springs/

As for the idle, when my friend had it, the Stang would drive fine, he'd stop at a stop light, and sometimes the engine would go into SURGE UP/DOWN freak out mode! Sometimes, it would die because the surging was so bad. Of course, the clueless service people kept blaming the TPS. WTF? The TPS has "ZERO" to do with how the engine idles at a stop light. The TPS "ratchet value" (lowest value of the TPS per turn-on) is used to determine that the TPS is fully closed. But, the idle speed is based on a simple closed loop of the RPMs. However, as I said, you then also have the injector pulse width changing because as the idle increases/decreases, so does the injector pulse width. And, you have the EEC trying to keep the engine in closed loop with the oxygen sensors. So, the EEC is adjusting the injector pulse width to keep the oxygen sensors happy. That effects idle speed a lot. That then triggers the idle adjust algorithm to adjust the IAB/IAC. Of course, the EEC is adjusting the IAB/IAC as it's also adjusting the injector pulse width to maintain a closed loop. Depending on how "things sync up", a very bad feedback loop can be created and you can get the horrible surging.

Again, also remember that this was all done when computer closed loop control and electronic engine control were pretty new. Then, add in that the engineers had to program in assembler (horrible) and had to cram as much as the could into what was expensive EEPROM back then. Of course, GM was "smarter", and they socketed their EEPROMs. GM knew that once a few million of those cars hit the roads for the first time, there was likely to be problems. GM also took the approach to have a better computer and control. I figure that the GM computer was $7-$20 more (at that time) than the Ford units. So, who was smarter - GM or Ford? You'd really need to know how much each company spent on warranty issues and how it really effected their future business to say for sure. Basically, many engineering decisions are never cut and dry, there are always trade-offs.

After I got the Stang, I changed the "standard" stuff that caused surging idle (EGR and IAB/IAC). But, the idle still sucked and it still surged. But, it surged "less". (That's like saying "she's less ugly" :)) The IAC/IAB sticks after ~25K miles because of carbon buildup. So, clean or replace it. Same for the EGR.

The MAF systems idle "better" for a few reasons.

Bottom line is that ALL 5.0 HO engines suck at idle! The SD engines suck more and are very prone to "random" surging. As I said, from what I remember, that was do to the simple idle algorithm that was used and crammed into the small PROM. I also looked at the SD idle algorithm many many years ago (over 10 years ago). It sucked worse.

So, going to a MAF-based setup may help with idle. As long as you use a 100% stock MAF and MAF intake setup, the idle may suck, but hopefully, you won't have the infamous "random" bad surging that happens with SD setups.

Of course, every engine is different. :)

After I got the Stang, I changed the "standard" stuff that caused surging idle (EGR and IAB/IAC). But, the idle still sucked and it still surged. But, it surged "less". (That's like saying "she's less ugly" :)) The IAC/IAB sticks after ~25K miles because of carbon buildup. So, clean or replace it. Same for the EGR.

The MAF systems idle "better" for a few reasons.

Bottom line is that ALL 5.0 HO engines suck at idle! The SD engines suck more and are very prone to "random" surging. As I said, from what I remember, that was do to the simple idle algorithm that was used and crammed into the small PROM. I also looked at the SD idle algorithm many many years ago (over 10 years ago). It sucked worse.

Wow, that makes me feel a bit better then. It gets really discouraging when you work on this stuff endlessly and nothing ever seems to fix the idle. I did install a new IAC; that didn't change things much.

I also own two Mass Air cars (91 GT convertible and 90 7-UP edition), and neither has this awful idling problem. The '91 LX I had back in college didn't have the problem either. I always figured Ford went to a Mass Air setup for a reason!

As for the '87 in question, I'll probably sell it before I dump any more money into it. I'd just hate to think of a potential buyer firing the car up for a test drive and it going into that crazy idle.

Good info guys! I'll keep it in mind for when I eventually convert my car to MAF (when I rebuild it and fix it up in a few years). Hopefully the info will help the original poster also.

Yeah, glad i found this info out now. I had to replace my speedo cable, so i went ahead and ordered a VSS and a cable for a VSS-equipped car. The speedo cables are different.

But now when i convert to MA down the road, I'll already have the VSS installed and plugged in since my car is a non-cruise control car.

As suggested, see the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems. Everything you need to find and fix idle problems is in there.

The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.