Vernier Caliper Reading Help! Checking Bores

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
This block was bored out a year or two(or ten) ago, and the guy i bought ti from doesnt know the specs. I used a T-sytle bore guage and basic vernier calipers. i centered the T guage and locked it, then measured with calipers. This is the part where i wish i took notes in HS..it is 1 mark past the 4 inch mark, and right in between the 1st and 2nd mark, (using the 0 on the top slider), i think every mark past the 4" mark on the main body is .25", right? if so then its 4.25" and the line on the slider that lines up perfecty with any line below it is 13, so i add 4.25" and .13" and get 4.38..except an overbore would be 4.030", right?? or am i doing this wrong? thanks for any help i might just go buy some cheap digital calipers

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

On my verniers you have you rwhole increments clearly labeled. Then you have some smaller number (1-9) between the inches. These represent the first decimal place of the measurement (In your case it sounds like 4.1"). then the dial is for the last 2 numbers of the measurement. This would be a 4.113" based on what you are saying. This sounds odd.

If you can post a pic of the calipers with what they are reading we can probably help a little better.