Versailles Rear End - caliper bracket loose - detailed part drawing?!

PM 65

Nov 2, 2005
Austria (Europe)
Hello Stangnetters,

hope you can help me with some (basic) Info for my rear end. The rear end and disc brakes are 1976 Lincoln Versailles (Granada & Mercury Monarch). The gears are Ford 3:50 Traction-Loc with 31 spline axles. I buyed the car with this setup installed on it.

Problem is: Today i taken the stang out for a spin and everytime i stepped on the brake i hear a little klonk noise from the rear. Wondering what that all of a sudden could be a tried to figure out more what the noisemaker could be and the result was every time i stepped / released the brakes it makes a noisy klonk sound. So i stopped at a parking lot and rattled trough the spokes of my rim the rear brake calipers and :eek:!!! The drivers side caliper has a little play to move up and down. I saw that the connection caliper / caliper bracket is as it should be and the whole caliper bracket is moving. I felt with my fingers that "behind" the bracket are some t-bolts and they are loose. Drived the stang slow and carefully back to my garage.
First time im working on the rear end so i searched the internet for some info if the bolts are only the connection between the rear flange and caliper bracket and how the rear end is actually assembled. Didnt found much info for my special case... :(

Does anybody have a detailed part picture / drawing how the rear end is assembled / built?
I hope this repair will only be a: tightening the bolts and everything will be good. Hoping on that nothing is worn out our damaged very badly through the loose bolt action. Any assumptions / experiences on that?

Thanks for any input / infos
have a nice day
Mario

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sorry this has nothing to do with your issue(s) but I just joined and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to post a new thread, any help?????? It's strange that there's not a "help" or "create new thread" or anything for a new member to post new issues.

Again sorry to bother you but I sure could use some help

Bill

Sorry, I don't have a detailed drawing to help you.

I know that on that setup as well as the Granada front discs everyone always advises to put loctite on the caliper bolt with the allen head. I use the blue medium strength.

Finally i have found some time to work on the car and solved the problem with the klonking noise from the rear caliper bracket. Like 96 DOHC Cobra mentioned above "only" the 4 T-bolts, which are holding the caliper bracket where loose. :shrug:
Gladly the screws had no damage on their threads. I made some pictures from the repair process, hope it helps when somebody is having the same/similar problem and searches the forum.

* wheel taken of...
bild1.jpg

* brake caliper taken of (2 big bolts)
bild2.jpg

* removed the brake disc, all 4 bolts where loose;
I had the right bolt already unscrewed a little bit before i maked the picture;
bild3.jpg

* on this picture you see one of the lower t-bolts;
bild4.jpg

* removed t-bolt for eye checking, i read this things are very hard to get in the aftermarket? :shrug:
bild5.jpg

Put everything back together and loctite was used on the bolts. Took a testdrive with the car aaaand :nice::nice::nice:

I'm glad you figured it out. I can't believe those came loose. Good idea on the loctite. Also, be careful not to damage those bolts, they are unique to the Versailles rear end.

This makes me want to go check mine now.

Yeah, i also wondered why the bolts came loose. I inspected all four bolts to find a hint of loctite on it but there wasnt and all threads actually looked very good to me. Checked also the co-drivers side with my fingers to see if there is the same problem coming. They are all feeling tight but i will disassemble it in nearer future and also put on these bolts some loctite just for sure! Unfortanetly i havent enough time to do it the same day as i repaired it on the drivers side.
Is there a source where you can buy exactly these bolts? Dont know why but my feeling tells me it would be a good idea to have a spare set of these at home :thinking: