vert owners look inside

95stangGT

Founding Member
Jan 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Well I got into an accident with my 95 gt coupe. The damage is pretty extensive. But I have stumbled upon a 94 v6 vert for $1000 which needs some quarter panel work. So I am gonna buy the vert and do the 5.0 swap into. I have also been heavily thinking about selling my PTK turbo kit and going with a custom twin setup. But I'm going off track here. lol My main question is, should I dump the A/C during the swap process. I had my coupe for the summer and not having A/C really didn't bother me to much. So being a convertible the need for A/C should all but disappear right? Can anyone think of a reason to keep the A/C?

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, if you can do without it in a coupe, you should be fine in a vert. The front AND back windows open which equals extra air flow, along with the fact that the top comes down. If it has leather, it might be a little hotter, but not much. I just deleted my a/c myself, no second thoughts.

The only time I really run my A/C is when the top is down and I am sitting at a long traffic light. Sounds dumb, but roasting under the sun's rays in a vert gets old fast when there is no air moving. I would say lose it since you sound like you didn't use the one in your old car.

Keep it. The defroster uses the a/c to keep the winshield clear. Convertibles are always more humid inside and they are alot worse than coupes. Without the a/c you'll have a hard time seeing through the windshield at night. Even with brand new seals all around and a high quality top, I still get massive condensation on the inside of the windows.:(

I can say that I want to delete mine, but for the reasons given above i have not yet done it... I plan to try disabling mine by disconnecting one of the switches and leaving it like that for a while to make sure i don't need it in the colder weather. if not I'll probably remove mine in the spring... but on the other hand it is nice on the rainy hot and humid days...

I'd keep it. I may not need it much, but when I need it, I really need it.

Last summer, my a/c wasn't working yet and I had to put the top up because it was raining. It was so humid and hot I couldn't see through the windshield and I was soaked in sweat in 5 minutes.

Then again, Buffalo summers are probably not as hot as DC summers ...

yeah man just cause its a vert doesnt mean you dont need a/c. the a/c in my car didnt work last summer and some days were terrible. When its hot as hell out AND its raining, its like an oven inside the car. And usually in the middle of the summer its too hot to have the top down just driving around town.

Well I've never had a problem with fogging windows and i've been without my AC now for two years. Then again my stang is my second vehicle so its doesn't see much rain either unless I get caught out in it.

When the sun is blazin down on top of you too the tune of 90 degrees or hotter your not gonna want that top down trust me. So IMO that theory about the need for A/C disapearing goes right out the window.

However where you live plays a big role, where you are you should be OK without it.

when i was 17 and smashed the nose up on my car, i was thinking of deleting the a/c too, but i was talked into having it fixed by the guy smarter than me (my dad) for the above mentioned reasons (mainly the windshield fogging up) and i have 0 regrets, IMHO, the times i use it most often are every time it rains, it always helps to have that a/c, and also when the top is down... even massachusetts summers are hot enough to wish you had a/c when you're stuck in traffic and the top is down... everyone that told me to cut the a/c are the same type that cut corners on their cars and only care about track times. you shouldnt be so conscious about track times with an sn-95 vert that its worth the minute gains from the a/c delete and a few bucks... just my time-told .02 cents and experience

DarkProphet said:
You could aways use heat to get rid of the fog too. Fogging on windshield is mainly caused due to dust/dirt on the windshild. If you clean it often you shouldnt have too much of a problem.
its hard to argue with another vert owners' opinion, but it does suck blasting heat inside on a rainy humid 85 degree july day...ugh