VERT TOP ISSUE.....

cobra10494

Founding Member
May 14, 2000
North Jersey
Sold my coupe and picked up a 90 red gt vert...detailed it today and dropped the top all the way down...now when i try and raise it i get a click..no motor noise..either position up or down i get a click..motor will not turn..a fuse? or maybe its stuck? Was working fine up until then. Any suggestions? THANKS! Also owners manual missing.. if any vert owners know which fuses/relays are located thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

The top relay is mounted behind the backseat on the drivers side beneath the well liner. (very close to the top motor). However, its been my experience with these that when the motor starts clicking instead of moving, its bad and needs replacing. Sometimes the motor will do this intermittently for a little while but sometimes it goes with no warning.
But its always worth a shot to replace the relay first.

Good Luck

When i was lowering the top all the way down i wanted to make sure it was tucked in all the way so i could put the boot on and held the switch a few extra seconds...maybe i blew a fuse? Which fuses are for top/motor.Dont have an owners manual.Relay behind seat is clicking when top lever is toggled.

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. The relay does the clicking when toggled. Unfortunately when the motor is sitting lifeless that's all you hear. If a fuse blew you wouldn't even hear the relay clicking because there would be no power to it.
Gain access to the motor and try freeing it up by tapping on it, or by running +- wires directly from the battery. A good direct 12volt jolt might get it moving again.
I've owned these verts since the 80's and I've been where you are now. I've never had a relay go bad or blew that fuse. (Not saying it can't happen) I have however replaced motors a few times.
Funny how they always die while the top is down. LOL

Good Luck

You do not need to remove the backseat. "Just the black vinyl well liner" Remove your shoes and stand in the backseat and man handle the top and raise it back up. Its tough and slow forcing the hydraulics but you can do it.
That way you can gain access to the black vinyl well liner behind the seat back. Unattach the well liner from the seatback and there is your motor and relays.