'Vert top issues

1987stangman

Jul 12, 2006
Ok, so I know when I bought my 96' GT 'vert that it is in the nature of convertibles to have issues with the tops. Yesterday after I got home I put the top back up and hear a pop, damn rear glass poped off at the top. Great. Today I get to looking at the glass hoping for just a easy fix I realized that the PO decided to not go with new rear vinal and glass. Instead, they just had a new top installed and reused the old glass setup. I got to looking at it and the underside is tan, the original top color, the shop must have painted it to match the new top. not a big deal I never would have known if I had not started poking around. 50resto sells new glass and vinal so I will be buying that to replace. Im hoping that I can replace just that part without taking to much of the top apart. Anyone ever have to just service that area? I'm pretty anal about it being right.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, so I know when I bought my 96' GT 'vert that it is in the nature of convertibles to have issues with the tops. Yesterday after I got home I put the top back up and hear a pop, damn rear glass poped off at the top. Great. Today I get to looking at the glass hoping for just a easy fix I realized that the PO decided to not go with new rear vinal and glass. Instead, they just had a new top installed and reused the old glass setup. I got to looking at it and the underside is tan, the original top color, the shop must have painted it to match the new top. not a big deal I never would have known if I had not started poking around. 50resto sells new glass and vinal so I will be buying that to replace. Im hoping that I can replace just that part without taking to much of the top apart. Anyone ever have to just service that area? I'm pretty anal about it being right.

Replacing the rear widow with out completely disassembling the top is definately doable, but is still a bit involved. Here is a link to the Ford Service manual instructions on how to do it.

http://media.latemodelrestoration.com/downloads/instructions/94-04CVRearGlassInstructions.pdf

If you have a good trim shop locally that doesn't charge an arm & a leg, you might just drop it off with them.

Replacing the rear widow with out completely disassembling the top is definately doable, but is still a bit involved. Here is a link to the Ford Service manual instructions on how to do it.

http://media.latemodelrestoration.com/downloads/instructions/94-04CVRearGlassInstructions.pdf

If you have a good trim shop locally that doesn't charge an arm & a leg, you might just drop it off with them.

Thanks! I called a few tro, shops around my area and none of them are really interested in me bringing my own hardware for them to install and want around 500.00 to the job so me being who I am I'm just going to do it myself my the LRS rear window. It will be challenge, ordering tonight. Thanks for the PDF!

Thanks! I called a few tro, shops around my area and none of them are really interested in me bringing my own hardware for them to install and want around 500.00 to the job so me being who I am I'm just going to do it myself my the LRS rear window. It will be challenge, ordering tonight. Thanks for the PDF!

No problem! Any time.

Good luck man!

Anyone know where to get instructions for and 03 GT Vert?

The instructions posted are actually for an 03, but the process is the same for all 94-04 verts.

take pictures of the install if you don't mind. I am trying to decide iff I should tackle mine or not.