very newbie question about timing

Ok, how do you do this i watched my friends do it plenty of times but never paid attention on how they change it i know you put it on the number 1 wire and connect the battery cable for the timing light but what do you turn to change the timing? also what should i make my timing be for the track and street(i figure street be the same but how much do i bump for the track) mods are in sig thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You can loosen the hold down on your distributor and advance or retard it from turning the distributor..

I always put a chalk line on my balancer so I can check it and see it easily..

u turn the distrubutor to adavance or retard as said above...and it depends on your car. some dont liek high timing some dont mind it..just set it and see if it pings, if so lower it...u will also need higher octane gas, or should i say higher octane allows u to advance it more without pinging. some advance to 12 some to 14, some 16. it all depends..i would keep it at 14 but u have to see for yourself how you car likes it.

for example if it pings at 15* on 87 octane u could lower the timing till it doesnt ping orrr lower it, and then go fill with 89 then put it back to 15, see if it pings, if so try 93...etc etc..also after u advance..take her for a spin with a few WOT runs and listen for any detonation/pinging..(detonation is liek a fast pinging)