Vibration, Rubbing, Burning, Whistling... All Related?

raider_nation_01

Jan 27, 2013
Hi all,

I've developed a slew of different symptoms in the last few weeks, and I'm not experienced enough to know if they're related.
I have a 1991 LX notchback 5.0 with about 157k miles on it. It's got an off-road H pipe, Spintec mufflers, and the smog pump is bypassed. Clutch and engine mounts were replaced about a year ago (nothing high-performance). Stock otherwise.

I got 4 new tires a couple months ago. Within two weeks I get severe vibration at 50+ MPH, shop tells me rim is bent (at a slow roll it does look bent). They rebalanced wheels to no avail. The whole car vibrates; you feel it in your chair, at your feet, the center console, etc.

Similar time-frame of vibration developing, I get a rubbing sound at <10mph coming from rear-driver side. It is NOT the tire rubbing, so says my tire shop, as the tire is not worn at all. Rubbing sound is correlated to speed (e.g., faster speed = faster rubbing sound, until 10+ mph at which it's no longer audible). Sound occurs with brakes on or off, clutch in or out. It isn't super loud, but you can hear it inside or outside the car.

A couple weeks after that, two new symptoms began: the engine seems to vibrate during acceleration, and I also smell faint burning probably coming from under hood (hard to tell). I replaced the clutch and motor mounts a year ago, so I don't think the vibration is motor mounts... The vibration only occurs when I'm on the throttle but not when I let off. Vibration does NOT occur with clutch in/in neutral (no matter how hard I rev it). Vibration begins in 2nd gear at 1500 RPM and upward. Same for 3rd and 4th gear. I haven't used 5th gear since this began.

And lastly, the poor girl now makes a whistling/bird chirping sound in 1st gear. It's mostly when I let OFF the throttle, but you can hear it if speed is remaining constant.

And this seems completely unrelated, but I replaced the clutch cable shortly after replacing the clutch (don't ask) and it need to be readjusted. Sometimes I get a "bird chirping" sound if I don't just barely keep my foot on the clutch (i.e. depress the pedal a quarter inch). This is a different, higher-pitched bird chirping than mentioned above.

If anybody has any suggestions or advice I would appreciate it immensely. I'm not much of a car guy so these symptoms all seem unrelated (hell, maybe they are).
I've been working 50 hour weeks and am kinda between houses right now so I really haven't had time to address this.

• Sponsors (?)