vibrations

bart

May 16, 2003
tn
alright, i have a nice little vibration from idle up to about 2500. havent driven it, this in park, when i put it in gear, it shakes like a mug. im pretty sure i now know what it is, i searched and got the answer, i just want to see if you guys think this could be my problem. so anyways, go to drop the motor in the other night, had to put a new flexplate on it, i got the correct imbalance. so i dont have the torque specs, i call my builder, its after hours and one of his workers answers. its like some 18yr old kid..(Not knocking young kids). i say hey lemme speak to james, he says hes under a truck working on a clutch. i say ok, you should know this...what are TQ specs on driveplate bolts for a 302 and do i used a threadlocker. he says no threadlocker is needed and i should tighten to about 56ftlbs.

so i totally feel like a dumbass for not rechecking and just taking his word...i mean ive never done something like that before. ive done heads and intake and that stuff, but never a flexplate or flywheel or anything of such. so after searching ive found that they should be about 75-80ftlbs and more than likely im leaking oil since i didnt use the locker.

so my 2 questions now are, do you think this is what my vibration is? and what color locker...red or blue?

• Sponsors (?)

yeah that was the first thing i looked at, usually if i have a dead hole you can tell by the exhaust. but it sounds the same as always. ive checked all the plugs, wires, the injectors. ive got plenty of spark. i just have this bad feeling is gonna be those bolts, seeing that i stopped about 20lbs shy of where they are supposed to be.

if it is the flexplate or related, im confused. for now, the bolts are holding it in and it should not vibrate, right? over time, this might not be so, but for now, i would not expect to feel an imbalance from bolts being at 60 ft/lb instead of 80.

not knowing any of this, i would have suggested a bad balancer or flexplate (or flywheel if a stick) issues.

before you drive yourself nuts, are ya real sure the balancer is good to go?

good luck bud.

PS, did you do the magazine thing yet?