vinyl stripes or painted stripes

omarV6

Nov 12, 2009
Los Angeles
i have a sonic blue 2005 v6 'vert and i wanted to know what kind of stripes ppl get for their stangs...i want white stripes like the pypes advertisement at the top of this forum that sometimes comes up...or silver...but i dont know whether to get vinyl or get it painted....

• Sponsors (?)

I would just check with a local body shop for prices man but IMHO painted stripes are the way to go. When I deploy next the 'stang is getting it's two door dings fixed and repainted. I am wanting to have some satin black stripes painted on at that time.

awesome thanks, i saw some cheap vinyl ones for 40$...but i read some more and they tend to have too much bubbles or fade away..i want to get white stripes for my sonic blue stang, but vinyl will fade to a sort of yellowish peach color, and i dont want that! lol
thanks for the feed back! ima start savin up :)

When it comes to stripes, you get what you pay for. The place to get vinyl is BaltimoreStreetMods, 3M Automotive Graphics They use only 3M vinyl and is rated at like 7 year outdoor, but I think maybe 4 or so depending on sun exposure. $185 for the vinyl and maybe $200-250 for professional install versus $1200-2000 for paint.
I went with vinyl because in a couple years I may get tired of the stripes or want a different color. If I decide to keep it stripped I will get it painted then. Once they are painted that's it, vinyl leaves me some time and options if I decide to go a different route. Plus the BSM kits are pre-cut and fit very well. (for $40 you get a roll of vinyl and you cut it plus it's not quality 3m stuff)
This chart may help you decide what color you like best. Cobra Color Selector
Also there are lots of pics on the BSM website.
If your installer is any good,(like mine) you will not have one bubble at all, mine did a dry install, takes about 8 hours, one inch at a time but it will lay perfectly and no need for squeezing out liquid, waiting for them to dry then finding bubbles the next day due to liquid under them.

Painted stripes would be the best! Here in NY most good body shops charge between $1,200 - $1,800 for the job to be done right by stripping the factory paint off the parts getting striped, painting the stripes and clear coating everything.

Painted is the best way IF you know that is the color and design you want long term! I wanted both the Le Mans stripes and rocker stripes on mine. I started off with vinyl rocker stripes by themselves as they would be cheaper and easier for self install. After putting them on, I thought that it looked fine like that and the Le Mans stripes would be overkill. I left it that way for about two years. I then had them removed and I went with the '69 BOSS scheme painted in Alloy. Not sure how much it cost as it was lumped in with a fairly major insurance claim. Once the outline for the stripes was on the car, I knew I wanted Alloy, but with only having a several square inch sample to lay on the car, I had no idea what the final result would be! The first time I saw the finished product I was amazed!

If you're sure/unsure about a particular design/color, the best way to go would be vinyl and then if you like/dislike it you can go from there on what you want painted:nice:

I'd pick something that has some metal flake in it as it adds quite the look. Esp since SB is metallic:D

Here was mine with the vinyl rocker stripes:
IMG_0614A.jpg

Here it is with the painted stripes:
3349646615_5f1f9f7d8f_o.jpg

Depending on the lighting conditions, my color scheme is quite difficult to see/photograph:
3966553490_98de2878ff_o.jpg

3925609600_e3f5e073d8_o.jpg

4210242103_046b74cd9c_b.jpg

I then had them removed and I went with the '69 BOSS scheme painted in Alloy. Not sure how much it cost as it was lumped in with a fairly major insurance claim. Once the outline for the stripes was on the car, I knew I wanted Alloy, but with only having a several square inch sample to lay on the car, I had no idea what the final result would be! The first time I saw the finished product I was amazed!

I'd pick something that has some metal flake in it as it adds quite the look. Esp since SB is metallic:D

Here it is with the painted stripes:
3349646615_5f1f9f7d8f_o.jpg

What type of paint is the Alloy? Do you have a manufacturer and paint code? Did you clear over it?