Vinyl Wrap

• Sponsors (?)

The hurricane.JPG

I thought about vinyl,....for a minute.

After you find out that the vinyl doesn't hide anything, ( bodywork flaws) actually has its own issues,...( you can see the folded corners, and cut seams at a panel end). Then add to that that it ain't cheap, and has to be installed by a pro,...real paint and the price to get that becomes relative real fast.

The thing about paint is that there ARE places like MAACO out there. You can get a "quality" looking end result for 1000.00 or less.

Given that the substrate still has to be as good as you can get it regardless, it just seems to make sense that vinyl has zero appeal.

Granted, I got really lucky. Had I not had Dave and PPG do what they did for me, I'd either be looking st DIY paint job #2,....or #3 by now.

And or the business end of a pistol pointed directly at my temple.

Given your situation, I'd ditch the wrap, and call whoever does the cheap paint jobs in your mkt.

hurricane_zps1586ffd7.jpg

This car is MAACO. The same car that is at the top. I had three cars painted by them here in Bham back in the 90's It was some cheap assed "synthetic enamel" They called it, but all three cars looked really good up close to where I wasn't ashamed of the things when I pulled into a parking lot. Nothing compared to the one I have now,...but for 600.00 dollars, and a lot of sweat,...was worth more that double that everytime.

Attachments

• 3d1k_zpsxi8b353t.jpg
    3d1k_zpsxi8b353t.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm not against a wrap, I've seen some pretty trick ones. They looked really nice.

In the end though, whomever would like to go this route, you'll have to spend a LOT of time prepping your body (and the car's). It takes a lot of work.

Like I told @madmike1157 when I was coming out to paint. I may be able to lay out a slick paint job, but if the prep work is shoddy at all, what you'll see is a really slick turd.(Mike did a fine job btw, except for that whole hood thingy:eek:)

Reactions: 1 user
I'd like to know prices as well. I want to get my boat done but from what I've been seeing, it ain't cheap for the material
Our prices run based on how much material we use, and how long it will take us to do something. You would need to get a length / width of the area you want wrapped. I would assume it would take us 2 - 3 days to do a "ski" boat.

Reactions: 1 user
I've talked to guys at the track about wraps. Not as cheap as it seems it should be. Price seems similar to paint but you can get cool graphics. If you DIY in a solid color it can be done for a reasonable price. They seem to last pretty well. I would wrap a car if I wanted a particular look from it. My observations on plastidip ... it's the duct tape of paint.

Reactions: 1 users